Home Open Account Help 251 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Friday's [passenger car] Polish Flashback

Date: 03/30/18 14:13
Friday's [passenger car] Polish Flashback
Author: gbmott

Here are examples of most of the common types of passenger cars used in PKP's intercity trains along with some foreign-line cars frequently seen in Poland.

1. A very common 2nd class non-air conditioned car containing eleven compartments with two facing three-seat sofas in each. Łodz Kaliska 6-12-94

2. A similar but newer and air conditioned car with the same interior arrangement. Katowice 6-9-95

3. A less-frequently seen non-air conditioned car containing both 1st class (4) and 2nd class (5) compartments. Warsaw 8-11-96

4. A commonly-seen non-ac 1st class compartment car containing nine compartments with two facing three-seat sofas in each. These differed from the 2nd class cars mainly by having greater distance between the sofas and thus more leg room. Łodz Kaliska 6-12-94

5. A standard luggage van (baggage car). Katowice 6-9-95

6. WARS was (is?) the subsidiary that operated the sleeping and food-service cars in Poland. This is a Bar car which contained several stand-up two-sided counters and a serving window behind which was a small galley that service a limited, but cooked on-board, menu. Usually staffed by two people. These were found on most domestic trains, full restaurant cars mainly limited to certain international trains. This example seen at Łodz Kaliska 6-12-94.

7. WARS non-air conditioned restaurant car seen in the consist of Sobieski, the daily Warsaw-Vienna train, at Katowice 6-9-95. Note the ÖBB (Austrian) cars on either side. The restaurant car was the only non-ac car in the train.

8. Standard non-air conditioned Couchette car. These cars, found throughout Europe, had ten compartments with six facing seats, but in this case the seatback folded down to form a bed and two more fold-down beds were on each wall for a total of six beds. My recollection is that you were provided with blanket and pillow but the beds were not made up with sheets. Feel free to correct me if I have mis-remembered. Seen Łodz Kaliska 6-12-94 on the overnight train between Frankfurt and Warsaw.

9. WARS non-air conditioned sleeping car containing ten two-person (upper and lower with a sink but no toiled) compartments plus a compartment for the attendant. These had fully-made up beds and were considerably more expensive than the couchette cars. I found it interesting that the sleeping cars were operated by WARS but the couchettes by PKP. Seen at Warsaw Głowny 6-12-95.

10. PKP Office Car, arranged very similar to our own with sleeping and lounge/dining sections, though I don't remember there being a full kitchen, and no rear platform! Kraków Płasz 6-11-93

11. ÖBB (Austrian Railways) air conditioned 1st class compartment car seen in the consist of Sobieski. Katowice 6-9-95.

12. RZD (Russian Railways) non-air conditioned sleeping car. There were cars with six-person compartments like couchettes and also ones with compartments for either two or four, but it has been too long and I have forgotten. This car has ten compartments plus one for the attendant and since this is a through Frankfurt-Moscow car I suspect it is one of the lower-capacity ones. Łodz Kaliska 6-12-94

Gordon

Date: 03/30/18 14:17
Re: Friday's [passenger car] Polish Flashback

next batch

Date: 03/30/18 14:19

more . . .

Date: 03/30/18 14:45

and finally . . . .

Date: 03/30/18 16:18
Author: krm152

A most interesting series illustrating the variety in passenger equipment.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds