Home Open Account Help 341 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Slides available

Date: 04/12/18 10:13
Slides available
Author: rkap10

Hi, I have been given the slides of the late Karl Helft of Virginia and I no longer have room to keep them. They are mostly foreign steam with some diesel and electric trains as well as trams. Also, about 5% of the photos are of US rail lines and another small percentage of vintage ships. I have attached three samples and will post three more with another post. If there is anyone who would be interested in all or part of this collection please let me know. There are thousands of slides. All but the contents of one double Logan box have been labeled at least with location and date. Cost is negotiable. Thanks.

Date: 04/12/18 12:30
Re: Slides available
Author: 86235

These all look like South America, the third is (I think) the international service from Asunción in Paraguay to Buenos Aires. Probably best posted on the International Board as well.

Date: 04/12/18 20:59
Author: airbrakegeezer

Nick (86235) is right: the first slide is an RFIRT (Rio Turbio coal line) 750mm gauge 2-10-2, in the far south of Argentina; the second is a 1952-vintage, meter-gauge GE, of the former Belgrano railway, I'm not sure of the location, but anywhere in the north western quarter of Argentina, where the Belgrano ran. The third is, indeed, the Asuncion-Buenos Aires "International"; I am almost certain that is the Asuncion (Paraguay) main station trainshed in the right background (never been there -- I'm just identifying it from photos). What was confusing me was the locomotive - it looks like an F.C.Entre Rios 4-6-0 (North British, c. 1909), later owned by the FCG Urquiza following the 1948 nationalization of Argentinian Railroads. Then I remembered that the Urquiza "donated" (or maybe sold for scrap value - I don't know for sure) a number of steam locomotives and rolling stock to the Paraguayan FCPCAL (Ferro Carril Presidente Carlos Antonio Lopez, for those who may be interested!), sometime in the seventies or eighties. If I am reading the locomotive's number correctly, it is 223, which means it retained its FCER and FCGU number when in Paraguay, and it identifies an old friend, because this locomotive was based in Concordia when I lived there as a boy in the 1940's and early 1950's. It is also the locomotive involved in a head-on "cornfield meet" with a Beyer-Garratt, c.1943. Obviously, it was repaired and provided many more years of service.

I'll be glad to help with identifying other slides, if possible. If you decide to sell any individual slides, I would also be interested; but I just don't have the time, space or finances to handle the whole collection -- sorry!

Roger Lewis (airbrakegeezer)

Date: 04/13/18 08:44
Author: Keystone1

Hi.....I knew Karl, back in the day. We corresponded from time to time about South America. Please just don’t throw them out! What did you have in mind for them. Just contact me by PM and we will talk about the entire collection. Thank you.

Date: 04/13/18 09:04
Author: zorz

I’d love to know more about slides around the first (narrow gauge Rio Turbio)

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0458 seconds