Home Open Account Help 396 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Steam in Germany and Sweden

Date: 05/29/18 15:20
Steam in Germany and Sweden
Author: andersonb109

I spent the past two and a half weeks in Europe. First was a three day steam event based out of Nordlingen, Germany. This replaced a planned event in Slovakia that was canceled do to bridge wash away. Nordlingen is itself an interesting town, built in the crater of a meteor. The church is actually partially constructed out of materials from out of this world! Following was a quick stop to pick up Yana in Kiev and a short flight to Riga. There we visited the small but interesting Latvian Railway Museum and did some tram riding. An excellent ferry crossing to Stockholm followed. After Yana flew home, I participated with a German group in six day's of photo charters in Sweden, visiting 6 different tourist railway. Again I was the only American along with participants from Canada, France, Netherlands, U.K., Slovenia and mostly Germany. Transport between sights resulting in some rather long drives and late night arrivals was done by mini vans and in our case, a nice Volvo rental car I shared with my friends Dave and Julie Rodgers from England. Photos follow: First: Loco lineup at Nordlingen Shed. Second: Crossing bridge near Nordlingen with freight.

Date: 05/29/18 15:23
Re: Steam in Germany and Sweden

Next: Railway museum at Riga. Can someone please orientate Yana correctly? Thanks.

Date: 05/29/18 15:29

Sweden. First...Steam on Lanakatten preserved line near Uppsala. Second: On the turntable on the Brosarp-Sanktolof "Tidtabell" preserved line. Third: Mallett loco on the preserved line at Jadraas.

Date: 05/29/18 15:38

Next: The preserved Skara-Lundsbrunns line near at Skara. For some reason, there are many 1960 era U.S. cars on the roads in Sweden. Third photo is the former logging line at Osh.

Date: 05/29/18 15:40

Last, by popular demand (based on previous posts), one more of Yana at the Riga Railway Museum. What Railway museum in Europe haven't we been to? But I did meet her on a train after all. Thanks for looking.

Date: 05/29/18 17:41
Author: norm1153

I think you meant this one?

Date: 05/29/18 19:20
Author: krm152

Interesting photos! Enjoyed them all.
ALLEN

Date: 05/29/18 23:24
Author: 86235

Very nice, like the Swedish steam, thanks.

Date: 05/30/18 05:50
Author: 55002

Superb set of photos, Bruce. I had a mail from Dave Rodgers that he was somewhere around here. May see him tonight for an update. chris uk

Date: 05/30/18 10:12
Author: 4489

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last, by popular demand (based on previous posts),
> one more of Yana at the Riga Railway Museum. What
> Railway museum in Europe haven't we been to? But
> I did meet her on a train after all. Thanks for
> looking.

Virgil Staff lives!! (Look it up)

Date: 06/08/18 11:14
Bruce "Virgil Staff" Anderson
Author: CNStratford

My favourite Virgil Staff picture had a Lionel Train entering a "tunnel". Do you remember?
Bruce is my more tasteful.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0768 seconds