Home Open Account Help 386 users online

European Railroad Discussion > I Sent My Daughter to Ireland...

Date: 07/03/18 11:27
I Sent My Daughter to Ireland...
Author: kevink

... and I got some nice train pics out of the deal!
Since my wife's siblings were visting family in Kerry and Limerick, we gave my daughter an early high school graduation present and sent her along. And no, we're not worried about her not graduating at this point :^)
First couple of days were spent in Dublin. First pics are of a LUAS tram on the Green Line making the turn from Dawson Street onto Suffolk Street as it heads north. Trinity College is behind the fence and trees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/18 12:50 by kevink.

Date: 07/03/18 11:34
Re: I Sent My Daughter to Ireland...

One of the tours took them by Heuston Station and the LUAS stop. Pics 4 and 5 are of a tram sitting in the pocket track on St. Johns Road in front of the station.
Pic 6 is from the obligatory tour of Guiness which once had a pretty extensive plant railroad.

Date: 07/03/18 11:41

After Dublin, the trip to Killarney, Co. Kerry was via Irish Rail on the 13:00 train out of Heuston/Dublin.
Mark IV train set  4006 at Heuston. The locomotive is at the far end.
My daughter was very impressed with the Mark IV cars especially the large windows.

Date: 07/03/18 11:47

At Mallow, Co. Cork, they made an across the platform transfer to a DMU train for the final leg to Killarney. Also stabled at Mallow was locomotive 078. 
Arrival at Killarney was right on time.

Date: 07/03/18 13:20
Author: DaveL

Kevin, Thanks for the pics, my wife and daughter are headed there in early October.

Dave

Date: 07/03/18 13:22
Author: 86235

Excellent series, thanks.

Date: 07/03/18 19:59
Author: schaffner

Locomotive 078 was built by EMD in London, Ontario in 1976.

Jim Maurer

Date: 07/03/18 21:17
Author: mundo

You trained your daughter fine for rail photos.

Date: 07/04/18 09:03
Author: mile250

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. And with your permission I'd like to share witih my civil (railway) engineering students the one showing cobblestone between the rails (something to add to my collection of various kinds of ties, slab track, embedded track, and "greenway" track) and the one with the tight curve and catenary wire almost invisible againt the urban backdrop.
-Glen Matteson
San Luis Obispo, California

Date: 07/04/18 18:59
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

kevink --
those are great photos your daughter took -- all of them!  She sure knows how to take good photos.  Is she, perchance, a railfan?  sure looks like ti!

So glad you ad your wife let her go overseas, in spite of school.   And travel is so important -- in oprer to experience different ways of life.

(Perhaps you could post some of her photos fo scenery and historic sites?  I'd like to se them.  TIA!)

Date: 07/10/18 12:13

Since Margaret asked, here are some scenery shots:
1. Ross Castle and Lough Leane, Co. Kerry
2. Beach at Ballybunion, Co. Kerry - my late father-in-law's last job before leaving for the USA was harvesting seaweed off the beach for the local spa's seaweed baths. This is a cool beach as ot varies between two beaches at high tide and one long beach at low tide.
3. View looking northwest from just north of my father-in-law's family farm in Causeway, Co. Kerry.  The bright light on the horzon is the Loop Head Lighthouse in Co. Clare. At the base of this cliff are some caves that were hideputs for Irish freedom fighters.

Date: 07/10/18 12:21

4. Last one - not on your normal tourist routes is a view of where my late mother-in-law grew up in Ashford, Co. Limerick. The house she grew up in was a traditional stone with thatched roof Irish cottage about halfway up that hill in the background. Her sister's kids still farm the fields stretching up to the ridge. 

Date: 07/10/18 13:20
Author: Lackawanna484

Great selection of pictures, thank you.

Date: 07/10/18 13:20

Oooooh.... those are beautiful photos, expecially that lst one.  our daughter has an artist's eye for photographs.    Beautiful.....  Thank yo for posting these lovely photos!

(Does your daughter, perchance,. like trains?)

Date: 07/10/18 15:50

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> (Does your daughter, perchance,. like trains?)

She does, but being 17 she's more into the teen scene at the moment. And that's okay. :^)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/15/18 23:26

kevink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> ---
> > (Does your daughter, perchance,. like trains?)
>
> She does, but being 17 she's more into the teen
> scene at the moment. And that's okay. :^)

So she does like trains!  I thought so!  Of course, she is into the teen thingsnow  -- that is normal.  I just hope she keeps her love for trains as she gets older.  Nice photos, all of them.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/18 17:43 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 08/23/18 17:08
Author: CPRR

I love the Guinness loco. Any way to live there? (In the brewery)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds