Home Open Account Help 313 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Kiev Express

Date: 07/08/18 07:46
Kiev Express
Author: andersonb109

Last month, I decided to do something a bit different. Rather than flying to Kiev following the steam festival at Wolsztyn (see post on the Steam Board), I opted for the overnight "Kiev Express" from Warsaw. The train initially consisted of PKP coaches and three Ukrainian sleeping cars. Unlike Amtrak, boarding was efficient. Find platform. Go down to platform. Wait on platform for train to pull, find car. Board. Simple. The  car attendant could give the worst Amtrak attendant a run for their money. She first asked "are you American." Well, since she had my passport, I guess that was obvious. She never smiled, nothing. When I asked  where the pillows were  (using my translator app) no response was given. Sleeper was typical Ukrainian with an upper and lower, reserved for exclusive use. Bedding is provided in a wrapped package, much like Amtrak is doing now. Toilets down the hall, kept reasonably clean. Unlike past domestic Ukrainian overnight trips, there was no food or drink provided. Nothing. Not even tea or coffee in the morning. Perhaps Mr. Anderson is now in charge? The most interesting part of the journey occurs at midnight. First Polish Boarder Patrol comes on board. They cleared the train in about 10 minutes (U.S  Boarder Protection, please note). Then after about 20 minutes of travel, it was the Ukrainians turn. Upon producing my passport, they go away with it. During that time the train enters the boggie works where all trucks are changed out to the Russian broad gauge. From what I could tell, the car enters the works on duel trackage and goes over a pit. There was much noise but little motion and the entire trucks are changed out on the three remaining cars on the train. The entire process took about 30 minutes. Following, boarder police come back and returned passports. No questions were asked but the officer looked right at me and said "welcome back to Ukraine" and shook my hand. A nice touch and far different from the often rude treatment afforded by his U.S. counterparts who clear passengers on land (I find U.S. agents at airports to be much more friendly). Now I could finally sleep. Arrival into Kiev Passenger was about one hour late, all lost sitting at some station in Poland for an unknown reason. Cost was very low compared to flying and saved a night at a hotel. A quick taxi ride (beware of gouging if they think you are an unknowing western tourist) and I was to our house by 1:00P. The earliest flight would have gotten me there around the same time. Overall, a good experience that I would do again. Photos are: Warsaw trams, Warsaw Central Station, and Kiev Passenger station interior. Both very busy places.

Date: 07/08/18 10:51
Re: Kiev Express
Author: LIL_BUDDY

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/08/18 15:16
Author: krm152

Thanks for posting your interesting photos.
ALLEN

Date: 07/10/18 11:37
Author: march_hare

Maybe the Polish border folks were quicker because you were outbound?  I know I rarely encounter US Customs on the way out.

Date: 07/11/18 07:49
Author: DavidP

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe the Polish border folks were quicker because
> you were outbound?  I know I rarely encounter US
> Customs on the way out.

The US is one of very few countries I’ve traveled to that doesn’t require travelers to go through passport check on the way out of the country.  

Dave

Date: 07/13/18 08:57
Author: 4489

DavidP Wrote:
> march_hare Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Maybe the Polish border folks were quicker
> because
> > you were outbound?  I know I rarely encounter
> US
> > Customs on the way out.
>
> The US is one of very few countries I’ve
> traveled to that doesn’t require travelers to go
> through passport check on the way out of the
> country.  
>
> Dave

Neither does Canada by the way!

Date: 07/13/18 14:32
Author: spflow

4489 Wrote:
> DavidP Wrote:
> -----
> > march_hare Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Maybe the Polish border folks were quicker
> > because
> > > you were outbound?  I know I rarely
> encounter
> > US
> > > Customs on the way out.
> >
> > The US is one of very few countries I’ve
> > traveled to that doesn’t require travelers to
> go
> > through passport check on the way out of the
> > country.  
> >
> > Dave
>
> Neither does Canada by the way!

Likewise any of the countries in Europe that are part of the Schengen agreement.

Date: 07/16/18 07:28
Author: DavidP

spflow Wrote:
> 4489 Wrote:
> -----
> > DavidP Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > march_hare Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Maybe the Polish border folks were quicker
> > > because
> > > > you were outbound?  I know I rarely
> > encounter
> > > US
> > > > Customs on the way out.
> > >
> > > The US is one of very few countries I’ve
> > > traveled to that doesn’t require travelers
> to
> > go
> > > through passport check on the way out of the
> > > country.  
> > >
> > > Dave
> >
> > Neither does Canada by the way!
>
> Likewise any of the countries in Europe that are
> part of the Schengen agreement.

My experience in Munich, Frankfurt, Zurich and elsewhere is that you do pass through passport control when departing Schengen Agreement territory.

Dave

Date: 07/16/18 07:35
Author: 86235

DavidP Wrote:
------------------------------------------
> My experience in Munich, Frankfurt, Zurich and
> elsewhere is that you do pass through passport
> control when departing Schengen Agreement
> territory.
>
> Dave

Yes, similarly if you arrive, say, in Frankfurt from the UK heading to another Schengen destination you go through passport control in Frankfurt, not your final stop. Incidentally although the UK is outside Schengen there are no passport checks leaving the UK, only entering.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1019 seconds