Home Open Account Help 328 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Distances between Thaylis stations

Date: 08/17/18 04:48
Distances between Thaylis stations
Author: twropr

Yesterday I had the pleasure of riding Thaylis train #9427 from Paris Nord to Amsterdam - an unknown distance in 3 hours and 35 min. Are there accessible documents that show the KM locations of Paris Nord, Brussels-Midi, Antwerp, Rotterdam, the Amsterdam Airport station and Amsterdam Central station so that I can compute the average speed between each stop?
Paris Nord to Amsterdam takes approximately the same time as a run from New York to Washington. It will be interesting to learn how much further a Thaylis train in that corridor runs than an Amtrak Regional.
Andy

Posted from Android

Date: 08/17/18 06:43
Re: Distances between Thaylis stations
Author: darkcloud

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/18 08:52 by darkcloud.

Date: 08/17/18 11:19
Author: andersonb109

Thanks for the Google tip. I never knew that mileage calculator existed. Great for figuring out mileage of rail lines where no source from the railway is available. 

Date: 08/17/18 11:54
Author: DavidP

You can Google it....I did and came up with 431km (268m).  This is a little longer than Washington - New York.  However, both Thalys’ and Amtrak’s fastest schedules average just over 80mph on their respective routes. (81 for Amtrak’s slower summer schedule vs. 83 for Thalys)

Dave

Date: 08/17/18 23:34
Author: 86235

The Wikipedia entry for HSL Zuid says the distance between Amsterdam Central and Paris is 305 miles (492 Kms).

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yesterday I had the pleasure of riding Thaylis
> train #9427 from Paris Nord to Amsterdam - an
> unknown distance in 3 hours and 35 min.

Were engineering works taking place en route? 3 hours 35 minutes seems rather slow. The Continental Timetable shows all northbound trains taking 2 hours 59 to Schiphol and 3 hours 17 to Amsterdam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/18 23:48 by 86235.

Date: 08/18/18 06:34
Author: DavidP

86235 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Wikipedia entry for HSL Zuid says the distance
> between Amsterdam Central and Paris is 305 miles
> (492 Kms).
>

The booking site Trainline.com lists the distance as 431km, although the 492km distance makes more sense with the current trip times.  Thaylis trains certainly *feel* like they’re covering more ground than Acela.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds