Home Open Account Help 244 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Mollibahn - Bad Doberan, Germany steam

Date: 08/25/18 05:56
Mollibahn - Bad Doberan, Germany steam
Author: birdman

The Mollibahn is a ten mile long line that runs from the town of Bad Doberan north to the seacoast at Kuehlungsborn.  The line has a track gauge of 900 millimeters or 35.4 inches and operates exclusively with 4 steam locomotives that were built in 1932.  The locomotives are 2-8-2 tank type or 1-D-1t using the European classification.  The line runs in the street in the town of Bad Doberan after which it passes through some forested areas and farmland before arriving at the seaside resort of Kuehlungsborn.  The steam locomotives are beautifully maintained.  The rods don't even klank.  Trains leave each end of the line hourly and meet at the Heilingendam station mid-way.  Two train sets are needed to maintain the schedule.  Track speed is 40 kilometers per hour although the locomotives are capable of 50 km per hour.  
1. running inbound in the street in Bad Doberan
2. outbound in Bad Doberan.  Notice the lack of smoke and the efficient combustion so as not to pollute the town
3. knocking down a semaphore northbound to Keuhlungsborn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/18 08:18 by birdman.

Date: 08/25/18 05:57
Re: Mollibahn - Bad Doberan, Germany steam

4. servicing the locomotive at Kuehlungsborn
5. Preparing to leave Kuehlungsborn

Date: 08/25/18 06:41
Author: rwullich

Thanks for sharing. Do they run year round or just seasonally?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/25/18 07:13

They run year round - not quite as often in the winter.  By the way, for a modest charge, you can have a cab ride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/18 07:13 by birdman.

Date: 08/25/18 07:17
Author: Bob3985

Thank you for bringing back the memories. I rode the Molli back in September 2002. What a lovely railroad and run.
And what amazed me was that their schedule coincides with the DB regional train in Bad Doberan at the station.
Their track is on one side and the DB on the other so it is a mere crossing over the platform.
I really enjoyed my visit to Germany and I don't know if they watch this discussion board but thanks to Andreas and Wolfgang for the trip and showing me around.
I even got to visit the towns of my ancestral heritage.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/25/18 07:57
Author: 1019X

Are the engines oil burners?

Date: 08/25/18 08:11
Author: pennengineer

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And what amazed me was that their schedule
> coincides with the DB regional train in Bad
> Doberan at the station.

It's actually not all that surprising that this is the case, as both the DB train and the Molli are operated as public service contracts, meaning the timetable is prescribed and the operation financed by the Verkehrsgesellschaft Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (VMV), the state-designated agency for planning, organizing, and financing local and regional train services in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Since the VMV decides when both services run, it can make sure that the timetables are coordinated to provide a convenient connection.

Date: 08/25/18 08:12
Author: pennengineer

1019X Wrote:
> Are the engines oil burners?

Nope, coal. Oil-fired engines are quite rare in Germany.

Date: 08/25/18 08:13
Rügenschen Bäderbahn "Molli:" Steam Photo Charter January 2019
Author: Milepost_130

On January 18 - 20, 2019 the IGE Werrabahn Eisenach plan a photo charter at "Molli." A rough translation follows: <translation courtesy of Google Translator>The idea was born by the fire on the African continent, because nothing should be impossible.

Over 4 years we tried the management of the Bäderbahn and their operating staff to convince you to turn a locomotive once for a few days. In the 80s, this effort was realized for a DEFA feature film. But we must not think that this would be a simple undertaking now. At that time, a locomotive was put on a trolley, driven into the Bw Rostock, simply turned on the turntable and brought back to Bad Doberan. Next we must note, the air ducts (air brake hoses?) on locomotive and car are only unilaterally detachable. That's why we have cable adapters built for this unique event in the Bäderbahn workshop. A high-capacity crane will be brought in from Greifswald on the coast, so that one of the two steamer is lifted into the air and after a 180 degree turn the tracks in unfamiliar direction, "Esse" can drive ahead. All in all a mammoth task for the organization team. This event again consumes a lot of time, nerves and money. But the pictures may remain unique. We will ride the train on this tour and celebrate the sunrise and sunset around Heiligendamm extensively. Our train is formed by freight cars and will operate in the era of the 60s and 70s.

If desired, a passenger train can also drive on the stage.

Financed according to the proven solidarity principle: if enough "coal" is collected by the day of the deposit, the program will be realized. Otherwise the event will be canceled and all deposits returned.<end translation>

If interested, PM me and I will forward the original German-language email message - and - if an email address is included, a PDF.

Rügenschen BäderBahn: http://ruegensche-baederbahn.de/home.html

Date: 08/25/18 11:25
Re: Rügenschen Bäderbahn "Molli:" Steam Photo Charter January 2
Author: andersonb109

I just today signed up for a two day photo charterin early May on this fine line. I will probably be the only American there. When I get back I'll post some photos and some will wonder "Why didn't I know about this."  Not sure if promotional mentions are allowed here so PM me and I'll point you in right direction. The organizers are also doing two days on the Isle of Rugen and the narrow gauge line there.

Date: 08/25/18 19:05
Re: Rügenschen Bäderbahn "Molli:" Steam Photo Charter January 2
Author: Bob3985

andersonb109 Wrote:
> I just today signed up for a two day photo
> charterin early May on this fine line. I will
> probably be the only American there. When I get
> back I'll post some photos and some will wonder
> "Why didn't I know about this."  Not sure if
> promotional mentions are allowed here so PM me and
> I'll point you in right direction. The organizers
> are also doing two days on the Isle of Rugen and
> the narrow gauge line there.
Enjoy your trip. That is another very beautiful part of Germany.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/25/18 23:17
Author: 86235

birdman Wrote:
> and operates
> exclusively with 4 steam locomotives that were
> built in 1932.  

Three were built in 1932, the fourth (99 2324) in 2009.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0866 seconds