Home Open Account Help 297 users online

European Railroad Discussion > More snow pictures

Date: 02/02/19 07:12
More snow pictures
Author: 86235

Another couple of pictures in the snow, one from yesterday and one from today. Both taken at the same foot crossing in the village of Llanfihangel Crucornau.

The first is of Network Rail's Network Measurement train on it's regular monthly trip up and down the Marches Line. Having gone down to Newport earlier in the morning it's returning north, to its home depot at Derby. In the opposite direction is this afternoon's 4V22, the same loco and set of hoppers that I posted yesterday after another loaded run to Fiddlers Ferry. It will sit out the weekend in East usk Yard, Newport before starting the whole process off on Monday evening, running empty to Portbury for another load of coal. I don't suppose this flow has many more weeks to run, it started at the end of July and should cease by mid February. Whether Fiddlers Ferry remains in commission after this winter is over is not yet known, but it is due to close within the next few years as part of the long term plan to de-carbonise our National Grid.

Date: 02/02/19 11:26
Re: More snow pictures
Author: krm152

Definitely like then both but most especially Photo 2.
Thanks for your posting.
ALLEN

Date: 02/03/19 09:49
Author: Hartington

>
> The first is of Network Rail's Network Measurement
> train on it's regular monthly trip up and down the
> Marches Line.

Many years ago (50 ish!) I worked in travel agencies in London.   British Railways had this odd calendar where everything was in 4 weekly cycles (and every so often a 5 week period for reasons best known to themselves).   It played havoc with accounting when everything else was on calendar monthly cycles.

Anyway, as far as I can tell the NMT still runs on a 4 weekly cycle, not monthly.

Apologies for the nit pick.

Date: 02/03/19 14:47

Hartington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apologies for the nit pick.

No apologies needed, I don't follow it's perambulations religiously but it always runs on a Friday so I suspect it may run on a 4, 4, 5 week cycle.

Date: 02/04/19 10:49
Author: CPRR

Is this typical snow levels in Wales, or will there be more coming?

Great photos BTW, and liked the previous video too.

Date: 02/05/19 01:42

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this typical snow levels in Wales, or will
> there be more coming?
>
> Great photos BTW, and liked the previous video
> too.

Thanks, snow fall in the UK is very variable, it entirely depends on the confluence of moisture, usually off the Atlantic, and cold air from the Arctic or Scandinavia. Last winter we had predominantly easterly airflows which are cold, hence we had four or five snow events. This year we've had one. It may get colder but at the moment there's no immediate prospect of more snow, at least down here

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1203 seconds