Home Open Account Help 276 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Probably Britain's least loved trains

Date: 07/31/19 15:01
Probably Britain's least loved trains
Author: 86235

In theory December 2019 will see the end of the Pacer family of diesel railbuses, classes 142 and 143. Derived from the Leyland National road bus Pacers have been around for almost 35 years, longer indeed than their bus parents. Today they are confined to the North of England and here in Wales, but as they are non compliant with the UK's 2008 Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations they must be withdrawn by 31st December 2019. However delivery of new equipment is running behind schedule so I suspect they'll be given a dispensation to work in to 2020. These are some pictures of them going about their work on commuter trains around Cardiff, the capital of Wales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/19 15:22 by 86235.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/31/19 15:24
Re: Probably Britain's least loved trains
Author: cabsignaldrop

Very nice! Liked the video.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/31/19 16:56
Author: gaspeamtrak

Excellent !
I have heard they ride very bad as they have only one axel on each end of the car, if the track isn't maintained in good order...?
Does anybody have a video riding one of these things bouncing around on bad track???
Just curious...:):):)
Thanks in advance...

Date: 08/01/19 02:35

I rode one back from Taffs Well to Cardiff Central yesterday. The interior is very utilitarian, there's not much sound proofing and the ride is pretty sensitive to track conditions. But on the straight from Llandaff to Cathays there's little to choose ride-wise between a 142 or 143 and a 150 Sprinter.

I think the worst feature is the squealing from the flanges as they negotiate corners, even curves with quite generous radii. One reason why they were quickly banished from branchlines in Cornwall in the late 80s.

Date: 08/01/19 07:47
Author: prrmpup

It is amazing that have lasted so long. 
I would imagine the growth of passenger traffic since BR days has assisted in their longevity.

Date: 08/01/19 08:06

prrmpup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is amazing that have lasted so long. 
> I would imagine the growth of passenger traffic
> since BR days has assisted in their longevity.

Without a doubt.

Date: 08/02/19 08:25
Author: eminence_grise

That said, a two unit set were shipped to Vancouver BC for a demonstartion during Expo 86, operating on the BC Hydro Railway. 

BC hydro Rail was the former BC Electric interurban railway which served towns and villages in the Fraser Valley east of Vancouver. Many of the passengers on the demonstration said that they would like to see passenger service restored.

Date: 08/02/19 15:30
Author: Peak45068

Actually there is still an operator in Sussex that runs 3 National buses on school contracts in 2019. One of the vehicles dates from 1974!

The ride on a 142 on long welded rail is smooth with no bounce. The bonus over other units is the great views you get when sat in one.

If you want some up and down action try them on the Leeds-Lancaster line and the Exeter-Barnstaple lines. Both beautifully scenic.

They are still running on some fairly long distance (for the UK) routes. When I was over in the UK in May/June I travelled on them on Saltburn-Carlisle, Carlisle - Chathill, Cardiff-Fishguard and Leeds to Chester services, which was a bonus.
I rate them, many others do too. They will be missed by more people then you think.
Englishman in America

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/19 15:52
Author: exhaustED

Man, those things are the biggest pile of pants you can possibly imagine! Awful ride, noisy, draughty and utterly gutless. 

Date: 08/03/19 07:11

Peak45068 Wrote:
> When I was over in the UK in May/June I travelled on them on
> Saltburn-Carlisle, Carlisle - Chathill,
> Cardiff-Fishguard and Leeds to Chester services,
> which was a bonus.
> I rate them, many others do too. They will be
> missed by more people then you think.
> Englishman in America
>
> Posted from iPhone
This is the 12:50 Fishguard Harbour to Cardiff. What 40+ years ago would have been a through loco hauled service, complete with a restaurant / buffet car from Fishguard to London Paddington is now a 146 minute slog in a Pacer as far as Cardiff. I can't imagine the ordinary punter will regret their passing, especially if TfW electrification plans are realised.

Date: 08/03/19 20:50
Author: Peak45068

I cannot imagine the ordinary public realized that 40 years ago the 1250 Fishguard - Padd was an ETH Duff either.

Not everyone dislikes them.

Get over it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/19 00:23
Author: exhaustED

Peak45068 Wrote:
> I cannot imagine the ordinary public realized that
> 40 years ago the 1250 Fishguard - Padd was an ETH
> Duff either.
>
> Not everyone dislikes them.
>
> Get over it.
>

The vast majority of the ordinary public realise only too well how crap the Pacers are... they're rightly ridiculed as the mechanical aberration that they are.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0667 seconds