Home Open Account Help 321 users online

European Railroad Discussion > UK Railfans, Need a Location Please

Date: 08/26/19 18:31
UK Railfans, Need a Location Please
Author: schaffner

These photos were taken by a friend in the Metropolitan London area on July 22, 1983.  One source claimed the photo with the bridge is at Peterborough but upon further review, this bridge is different.  All three photos were taken in the same area.  There are four high rise towers visible in the distance of one photo.

Thanks.
Jim Maurer

Date: 08/26/19 18:32
Re: UK Railfans, Need a Location Please
Author: schaffner

Same location same day.  These DMUs apparently ran on only two different lines out of London in 1983, so that might help in identifying the location.  The rollsign reads "Special".

Thanks!

Date: 08/26/19 20:32
Author: 4745

Probably the bridge photo is near Paddington Station with the train leaving to go west.
The DMU is likely a shorter trip working to Reading or similar.
Lived in Bayswater @1984.
Graham.

Date: 08/27/19 01:00
Author: 86235

I think 1, 2 and 4 are taken around Old Oak Common on the Great Western Mainline (GWML), I think the bridge is carrying Scrubs Lane over the GWML with the West London Line rail bridge adjacent and the retaining wall in 1 and 4 being that of the Grand Union Canal. Not sure about 3, possibly the spur from the West London Line to the GWML?

The DMU certainly looks like one of the three car class 117 Pressed Steel units which were unique to suburban lines out of Paddington.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/19 01:07 by 86235.

Date: 08/29/19 12:13
Author: cricketer8for9

I’d go with those locations.

Date: 09/01/19 23:15
Author: SD70M

A 47 on pressure vents.. How time flies.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0278 seconds