Home Open Account Help 301 users online

European Railroad Discussion > 90th birthday rail experiences for a retired engine driver?

Date: 10/12/19 07:42
90th birthday rail experiences for a retired engine driver?
Author: OHCR1551

Edited to add: He is Ernest Holden, and he worked out of Sheffield. I have permission to upload his photo, but can’t get it into a Trainorders-compatible format.

There’s a retired engine driver in Cheshire who has driven Mallard and Flying Scotsman, among others. His career ran well into the diesel era, of course. He’s turning 90 in December and his family, who are a bit wobbly in their understanding of his old job, would like to make his day a very special one.

They did mention his eyesight isn’t good these days, but we all know the other four senses make up a lot of being around steam. He’s mobile enough and they have good transportation, and he’s been to York when he was younger and could drive himself. (My first thought wasn’t even “is he well enough to be in the cab for a ride?” but “Someone get his stories recorded!” I think Tornado’s crew might like a word with him.)

In retirement, he has been helping with Cheshire Falconry’s program of autism therapy with their birds of prey. If you use Twitter, @burrowingbolt, otherwise known as Murray the Owl of Cheshire Falconry, posted a picture this morning; perhaps someone here would recognize him. If they approve, I can put it up here. 

You all were so helpful about getting our young friend trackside this summer. What would you suggest?

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/19 14:41 by OHCR1551.

Date: 10/12/19 08:13
Re: 90th birthday rail experiences for a retired engine driver?
Author: dan

take him to see some running steam?

Date: 10/12/19 08:20

But of course! The question is who’s going to be running in December and where they might be best equipped to handle an older rail with some vision issues. I don’t believe he’s fully blind, just vision not up to driving any more. 

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 10/12/19 09:10
Author: Hartington

Come to the UK in the run up to Christmas. We have steam on the mainline running to a range of "Christmas Markets" https://www.steamdreams.co.uk/.

Then take him to one of the preserved railways for the opportunity to drive under supervision http://www.footplateexperience.co.uk/ or to ride to visit Santa Claus!

Date: 10/12/19 14:44

Thank you. I won’t be able to join whatever festivities ensue, but he and his family are all on your side and will doubtless be able to make use of those links. They’re a very nice lot of people and until this morning I had no idea he’d been an engine driver!

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 10/14/19 23:19
Author: ORNHOO

OHCR1551 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There’s a retired engine driver in Cheshire who
> has driven Mallard and Flying Scotsman, among
> others. 

Did I once see him on the British version of "Antiques Roadshow"? My local PBS station used to run the British version when the American version was on hiatus and I recall seeing a retired gentleman who had the same CV.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds