Home Open Account Help 387 users online

European Railroad Discussion > European Railway Station Where is it No. 21

Date: 04/27/20 03:04
European Railway Station Where is it No. 21
Author: andersonb109

Chis; you are banned from identifying this one. For some reason, that large clock and pillared entrance reminds me of the court house in the movie "Back to the Future." 

Date: 04/27/20 03:36
Re: European Railway Station Where is it No. 21
Author: exhaustED

Ah, that'll be Huddersfield in West Yorkshire... a fine Victorian station on the Manchester to Leeds Trans-Pennine (via Standedge Tunnel) route. 

My home-town!

I can't believe I got one right... but then if anyone should I guess it ought to be me (or Chris)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/20 03:37 by exhaustED.

Date: 04/27/20 04:23
Author: railsmith

And in front is this statue of a native son, the Rt. Hon. Harold Wilson, Prime Minister from 1964 to 1970 and 1974 to 1976. Born in Huddersfield in 1916.

Another adornment is the 1950s-style Cafeteria and Bar sign in British Railways maroon for the London Midland Region. An excellent pub adjoins the platform, enabling trains to be spotted in warm comfort with a pint in hand. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/20 04:24 by railsmith.

Date: 04/27/20 05:13
Author: exhaustED

Not to forget, the station has its very own semi-famous live-in cat/cats... Felix and Bolt.

felix-the-huddersfield-station-cat-gets-own-apprentice

Date: 04/27/20 05:21
Author: 55002

Damn ... I go out for a couple of hours and miss the one I know!! Huddersfield, with its 2 cats, and 2 great pubs. Takes some beating.
I enjoy the Huddersfield food festival which is held out the front of the station. Sadly, I don't suppose it will happen this year.  Chris UK

Date: 04/27/20 06:11
Author: andersonb109

In the background of the last photo is a great old hotel where I stayed but now closed. Huddersfield was home to my great friend David Rodgers, who sadly died last December after a short bout with cancer. David organized many wonderful steam tours, specializing in South Africa when that was still possible. Upon retirement he built a great G Scale railway in much of the back yard. His wife Julie plans to keep it operational for visitors. In memory, here's a photo from his second to last SA trip in 2006. So that was the reason for my several visits to Huddersfield.and it's fine railway station.

Date: 04/27/20 07:32
Author: 55002

Super photo, Bruce.  Here's David's garden railway, early last year. Not sure when we can meet up at Julie's with the present issues. Chris UK

Date: 04/27/20 20:21
Author: tq-07fan

Thank you all for the look at Huddersfield! I flat out ran from a Trans-Pennine Express from Manchester to the once an hour service to Penistone seen here. As you can see on the departure board I had just two minutes and three seconds to spare so didn't get much of a look at the rest of the place.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds