Home Open Account Help 245 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Paper tickets in Sweden?

Date: 09/13/20 17:46
Paper tickets in Sweden?
Author: march_hare

I have a friend here in the US who had been planning on an extensive train riding adventure through Europe this summer. Yeah, bad timing on that. Probably next year. 

One humorous thing thing he had intended to do was to take a train to Hell, Sweden. ( it was the only thing he could think of to match a memorably awful trip the two of us shared on the Empire Builder back in the 1970s). 

Another thing was to go to a local station nearby and buy a stack of cheap, local, and most importantly ONE WAY tickets to Hell. He wanted to be able to hand them out individually to people who pissed him off. 

Is is this even possible any more?  In Sweden, do they even issue paper tickets?  And if they do, do the tickets show the name of the destination station?  

Date: 09/13/20 23:55
Re: Paper tickets in Sweden?
Author: railsmith

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a friend here in the US who had been
> planning on an extensive train riding adventure
> through Europe this summer. Yeah, bad timing on
> that. Probably next year. 
>
> One humorous thing thing he had intended to do was
> to take a train to Hell, Sweden. ( it was the only
> thing he could think of to match a memorably awful
> trip the two of us shared on the Empire Builder
> back in the 1970s). 
>
> Another thing was to go to a local station nearby
> and buy a stack of cheap, local, and most
> importantly ONE WAY tickets to Hell. He wanted to
> be able to hand them out individually to people
> who pissed him off. 
>
> Is is this even possible any more?  In Sweden, do
> they even issue paper tickets?  And if they do,
> do the tickets show the name of the destination
> station?  

Your friend will have to visit Norway if he wants to go to Hell. The Wikipedia entry says the station there is manned, so perhaps that increases the odds that paper tickets are issued.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway

Date: 09/13/20 23:57
Author: jeffgeldner

Hell is actually a village in Norway. I am not sure if paper tickets are still issued but I bought post cards there several years ago with a nice view of the station and a fiery sunset which had the title "Greetings from Hell". These post cards are probably still available.

Date: 09/14/20 04:30
Author: march_hare

Thanks. This explains why I was having a hard time finding it on a map. 

Date: 09/14/20 06:07
Author: colehour

Somewhat off-topic, but in thesouth of Rome there is a suburban zone called Infernetto or "Little Hell." Up in Umbria there is also the town of Bastardo. Neither has direct rail connections, although Infernetto is not far from a station on the Roma-Lido Ostia line. Foligno would probably be the nearest station to Bastardo.  

Date: 09/14/20 17:50
Author: tramfan

When I rode the NSB (now Vy) in 2017, I had an 8-1/2" x 11" paper printed out from my computer that served as the ticket. Last year in Italy I didn't even have that.  Just used the app on my phone and had it scanned.

Date: 09/14/20 23:13
Author: wpamtk

There is also a "Hell" on the island of Grand Cayman in the Caribbean. No trains, unfortunately, but they did have postcards, magnets, keychains, etc.

Date: 09/15/20 02:24
Author: pvarlien

There is a manned ticket counter at Trondheim Central Station, about 25 miles from Hell, that I'm sure issues one-way tickets to Hell. :-)

Peter Varlien
Heimdal,

Date: 09/15/20 05:19
Author: colehour

tramfan Wrote:
> When I rode the NSB (now Vy) in 2017, I had an
> 8-1/2" x 11" paper printed out from my computer
> that served as the ticket. Last year in Italy I
> didn't even have that.  Just used the app on my
> phone and had it scanned.

I lived in Italy from 2001-2007. When riding trains in the later years of my time there, I simply showed the conductor a ticket number displayed on my phone. I don't recall that they were using a scan code at the time. When I got back to the States, I had to buy paper tickets on Amtrak. Kind of a disappointment!

Date: 09/15/20 15:20
Author: SvenMolson

Hell is in Norway.  (It's far too nice of a place to be in Sweden.) Yes, you can buy a one way or round trip ticket to Hell. I bought mine in Trondheim, Norway. The station during my visit was unmanned which I expected to be the case.

pic. 1 - My ticket
pic. 2 - Station at Hell
pic. 3- Me at Hell... there, the entire world is upside down.

Ha det Bra,
Swen Molson

Date: 09/15/20 17:28
Author: symph1

There's also a Hell, Michigan. Which, yes, occasionally freezes over.

Date: 09/16/20 08:58
Author: ironmtn

symph1 Wrote:
> There's also a Hell, Michigan. Which, yes,
> occasionally freezes over.

Yes there is. It's located in Livingston County in southeast Michigan, not far to the northwest of Ann Arbor. No Amtrak or other public transportation service, so you can't buy a ticket to go there. But Amtrak is close, with a stop at Ann Arbor (in Washtenaw County, the next one over to the east). That might work for you as a stand-in (some people might say that it does, although I am not among them).

And indeed it freezes over every winter in Hell, Michigan. As I am sure that it does in Hell, Norway as well.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 09/16/20 10:49
Author: symph1

The word "hell" means light or clear in German. That's where this comes from.

Date: 09/16/20 14:40
Author: czephyr17

The old postcard I have from the Norwegian Hell shows the depot with the name “Hell” toward the top, then underneath is another sign that says “Gods expedition” (express freight).

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/20 20:43
Author: skinem

I suppose some would argue that depending on how one leads his/her life that they could get a free ticket to Hell. They all look better than what I've been led to expect.

Date: 09/29/20 10:13
Author: sventomas

Hell is on the line to Sweden over Storlien about an hour from Trondheim, Norway. The line is served by interregional  DMUs from Trondheim to Östersund. Quite picturesque ride!
Tom Werner

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0771 seconds