Home Open Account Help 308 users online

European Railroad Discussion > More BR Steam

Date: 11/04/20 04:47
More BR Steam
Author: gbmott

I need something to take my mind off the election, so here's another dose of A. E. Brown.  Good mental therapy!  As always, the location identification is what I have and if any of you who are more familiar with the territory can provide corrections, please do.

1,  75003 - between Newbury East Jct. and Hermitage 4-18-56
2,  35017 "Belgian Marine" - Worting Jct. 4-15-56
3.  48096 - Shrewsbury 7-64

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/20 08:04 by gbmott.

Date: 11/04/20 10:39
Re: More BR Steam
Author: dwatry

Wow these are all great shots!  Are those stock cars in #1 (maybe for sheep)?    I have never seen photos of stock cars on UK rails before.  Interesting.

Date: 11/04/20 21:30
Author: ironmtn

Another fine set -- thanks. Appreciate the Bulleid Pacific in number 2...

Date: 11/05/20 04:22
Author: JohnMcIvor

Great photos. The picture of 35017 shows the locomotive in charge of the 'Atlantic Coast Express' in its original form with 'air smoothed' casing and unique Bulleid chain driven valve gear. Worting Junction, just west of Basingstoke, is where the London to Bournemouth and Exeter routes diverge. Originally completed in 1945, it was rebuilt in 1957 and withdrawn in 1966. The 'Atlantic Coast Express' ran from London Waterloo to multiple destinations in Devon and Cornwall via Exeter. The lighter 'West Country' Pacifics took over from Exeter.
My photo shows a sister 'Merchant Navy' class Pacific 35008 in its rebuilt form in 1963 heading a Waterloo to Exeter express near Fleet, Hampshire.
John McIvor
svsfilm.com

Date: 11/05/20 07:37
Author: 1019X

Great photos, I see one of them is of a 2-8-0 "Consoldation" in US terminology and I believe that was the most common wheel arrangement in the US. I have seen few photos of 2-8-0s in Great Britian. From my limited observation of British locomotives on Train Orders it would seem that the 4-6-0 or 4-6-2 would have been the most common. Am I correct?
Charlie

Date: 11/05/20 10:14
Author: exhaustED

1019X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos, I see one of them is of a 2-8-0
> "Consoldation" in US terminology and I believe
> that was the most common wheel arrangement in the
> US. I have seen few photos of 2-8-0s in Great
> Britian. From my limited observation of British
> locomotives on Train Orders it would seem that the
> 4-6-0 or 4-6-2 would have been the most common. Am
> I correct?
> Charlie

I'm not a steam expert but there were some successful 2-8-0s such as the 7F, Stanier 8F and WD Austerity types, including others. There was a 2-10-0 (9F) also. 

Date: 11/05/20 13:29
Author: gbmott

There were also the GWR 48xx 2-8-0's.  I'll try to remember to include them in the next set of photos.

Gordon

Date: 11/06/20 11:51
Author: 86235

Look closely at the shot of Belgian Marine, the first three of four cars are all BCKs - brake composites, cars with a brake compartment (for luggage) and first and second class seats. The Atlantic Coast Express (or ACE) served numerous small resort towns in the South West of England, often with a single BCK, which were detached at stops en-route. The "main" portion of the train reached its final destination, Padstow, on the north Cornish Coast some 5 hours after leaving Waterloo, but often with only three or four carriages.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds