Home Open Account Help 380 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Oh to be in England: Brough 1984

Date: 02/23/21 18:31
Oh to be in England: Brough 1984
Author: NMlurker

After a day or two down in London I took a train (trains?) up to the Hull area, north of London on the central east coast, to visit the parents of a college housemate. They lived in the small town of Brough, the third station west of Hull. These two shots were taken at the end of the visit as I waited for a train back to London.

1.  An eastbound DMU set makes a stop in Brough on its way to Hull. There is a lot to like in this otherwise unremarkable image:  the framing provided by the pedestrian bridge, the lovely diagonal latticework of the bridge, and, of course, the tall-masted, cantilever semaphore signal in the background.

2.  Shortly thereafter, my train arrived behind a Class 31/4 (A1A-A1A) locomotive and a short consist.  Note that the platform appears to be deserted and I was evidently not too worried about missing getting on the train.

Date: 02/24/21 00:04
Re: Oh to be in England: Brough 1984
Author: 4745

Oh to be in England, again...
Bringing back some memories. Keep them coming please.
Thank you from Downunder.
Graham.

Date: 02/24/21 00:26
Author: 86235

I love the multi unit DMU, I can hear those BUT engines starting up, with the plumes of blue grey exhaust, even now!

Date: 02/24/21 03:42
Author: 55002

Lovely to see these, and our traditional DMUs. I took this in 2012, a modern DMU, and the footbridge has been replaced by a fully accessible version. Also, since my photo, I think the semaphore signals have gone. chris uk

Date: 02/24/21 12:02
Author: Hexagon789

NMlurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After a day or two down in London I took a train
> (trains?) up to the Hull area, north of London on
> the central east coast, to visit the parents of a
> college housemate. They lived in the small town of
> Brough, the third station west of Hull. These two
> shots were taken at the end of the visit as I
> waited for a train back to London.
>
> 1.  An eastbound DMU set makes a stop in Brough
> on its way to Hull. There is a lot to like in this
> otherwise unremarkable image:  the framing
> provided by the pedestrian bridge, the lovely
> diagonal latticework of the bridge, and, of
> course, the tall-masted, cantilever semaphore
> signal in the background.
>
> 2.  Shortly thereafter, my train arrived behind a
> Class 31/4 (A1A-A1A) locomotive and a short
> consist.  Note that the platform appears to be
> deserted and I was evidently not too worried about
> missing getting on the train.

Nice selection of photos.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 31/4s plus Mk1/Mk2 cars replaced the TransPennine DMUs on Hull-Liverpool workings, if my memory is correct.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/24/21 16:07
Author: NMlurker

I love the 'after' photo to my 'before' photo, thank you for posting.

Date: 02/25/21 13:55
Author: Peak45068

Good old ‘ull!

I was born there and have supported the football team Hull City for 40 years. We had friends in North Ferriby a station between Hull and Brough and visited many times back in the day.

I chased Class 45’s many years ago and had a few into Hull on the Paddington - Leeds/ Hull splitter trains. The train split at Sheffield and the Sheffield to Hull portion occasionally got a big Peak. I think then it went back on a Hull to Brighton service!!

Those goyles (Class 31’s) replaced units on the Lancaster - Hull trains in the 1980’s.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, it brought back some memories. A far cry from what I travel on now. Amtrak’s Trains 19/20 The Crescent.

Englishman in America

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0643 seconds