Home Open Account Help 305 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Not all are electric, I think!

Date: 10/29/21 09:24
Not all are electric, I think!
Author: edsaalig

What are these units used for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/21 09:27 by edsaalig.

Date: 10/29/21 09:26
Re: Not all are electric
Author: edsaalig

I took these photos in Switzerland somewhere beteen Zurich and Visp.

Date: 10/29/21 14:35
Re: Not all are electric, I think!
Author: rosenth

Meter gauge work train engines of a private company doing track maintenance etc. 

Date: 10/29/21 19:17
Author: DavidP

In 1984 I watched an electric powered freight train switch an industry at Interlaken.  The industrial track lacked catenary, so the crew used a small diesel a lot like those in your picture, then coupled it to the rear of the freight and were off and running.

Dave

Date: 10/31/21 11:11
Author: jcaestecker

Looks like pizza delivery to me.  Can't you guys read?

-John

Date: 11/01/21 08:27
Author: pennengineer

They belong to the primary contractor carrying out the refurbishment work on the Furka Base Tunnel, which was opened in 1982 and whose modernization is planned for completion around 2025: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furka_Base_Tunnel

From Railway Gazette in September 2018:
https://www.railwaygazette.com/infrastructure/furka-base-tunnel-modernisation-gets-underway/47067.article

"Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn has begun work on a major project to modernise the 15·4 km Furka Base Tunnel, which opened in 1982.

The main contractor is the Arge Furka 1618 consortium of Pizzarotti and Luigi Notari.

New cabling and electrification equipment are to be installed, and changes to reduce maintenance costs will include replacing the ballasted track with a slab design and improving drainage to reduce humidity. Upgrades to bring the safety systems in line with current standards will include the provision of new ventilation equipment, smoke-free zones and safety rooms.

The SFr190m modernisation financed by the federal government is the largest project to be undertaken by MGB since it was formed through the merger of two metre-gauge operators in 2003.

The project will require some weekend closures of the tunnel, but most of the work is to be undertaken overnight. Completion is planned by 2026."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds