Home Open Account Help 310 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Some Irish Rail

Date: 01/21/22 18:33
Some Irish Rail
Author: kevink

My kid is spending this semester studying in Dublin Ireland. They already have made a couple of rail excursions with the group they're with.
On 1/14/22, they took an Irish Rail suburban train to Howth jiust northeast of Dublin. Here is the train at Connolly Station in Dublin. 

Today (1/21/22), they went to Cork. Here os their train at Dublin Heuston 

Date: 01/25/22 07:01
Re: Some Irish Rail
Author: Steinzeit2

Nice photographs.  It is interesting that lamp irons are still fitted;  what are they used for, I wonder ?

Best, SZ

Date: 01/25/22 13:03
Author: 3rdboxcar

Sorry for stating the obvious but they are for mounting lamps.

If a train fails or is shut down in a yard then a battery lamp is mounted for protection.

Date: 01/27/22 09:05
Author: 86235

I don't think the train in the first picture is going to Howth, it's a CAF DMU of the 29000 class, probably en route to Maynooth on the MGW line to the west or Drogheda on the GNRI to the north. Howth is the end of an electrified (1500v DC) branch a few miles noth of Dublin City Centre.

Date: 01/27/22 14:34
Author: kevink

Thanks 86235. I was wondering that myself as I knew that the DART EMU’s operated to Howth in the past. As long as the kid gets good grades and sends the occasional rail-related photo, I’ll be happy.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds