Home Open Account Help 248 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Eurotunnel train problem

Date: 08/24/22 04:18
Eurotunnel train problem
Author: Ray_Murphy

Date: 08/24/22 05:36
Re: Eurotunnel train problem
Author: 86235

What a non-story. Train breaks down, people transferred to another train via a recognised safe passageway. Nobody killed or injured.

Date: 08/24/22 10:39
Author: PHall

The Emergency tunnels did their job, end of story.

Date: 08/24/22 12:07
Author: railstiesballast

"A non-story?"
Perhaps for the media and public but this is a big story for anyone involved in designing, maintaining, and operating tunnels.
Good and problematic lessons will be learned and taught from this event.
And a far better outcome than if the problem had been in the Hudson or East River tunnels, or any of the long mountain tunnels on legacy routes.

Date: 08/24/22 15:47
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

"....Another passenger, who did not want to be named, said: "Several people were freaking out about being down in the service tunnel, it's a bit of a weird place... We were stuck down there for at least five hours."

Date: 08/24/22 15:55
Author: gbmott

The story I am reading says there was no breakdown, only that warning indications were displayed in the cab.  I think it's unfair to characterize this as a non-event to the passengers involved.  Yes, everything proceeded exactly as planned, but exiting a train and being stuck for hours in a tunnel several hundred feet beneath the surface of the English Channel could be an upsetting experience.

Gordon

Date: 08/24/22 23:51
Author: railsmith

Lurch_in_ABQ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "....Another passenger, who did not want to be
> named, said: "Several people were freaking out
> about being down in the service tunnel, it's a bit
> of a weird place... We were stuck down there for
> at least five hours."

They were not stuck in the service tunnel itself for five hours. The original car shuttle train was stopped for at least an hour and a half, then passengers walked through the service tunnel for about 10 minutes to reach an empty shuttle train (not a freight train as the BBC report claims), which then had problems getting underway. Not fun, but not the same as spending five hours on foot in a bare tunnel.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/24/eurotunnel-passengers-stranded-underground-for-five-hours

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/22 23:51 by railsmith.

Date: 08/26/22 14:29
Author: 86235

gbmott Wrote:
> I think it's unfair to
> characterize this as a non-event to the passengers
> involved.
>
> Gordon

I didn't, I said it was a non story from a 'news' point of view. Every burglary and minor car bump is important to those involved, but not really for the rest of society.

Date: 08/28/22 12:25
Author: DevalDragon

Remember, this happened in a first world country where 5 hours delays are rare.  They're not used to likes of Amtrak where this would be another day at the office.

Date: 08/28/22 13:17
Author: PHall

DevalDragon Wrote:
> Remember, this happened in a first world country
> where 5 hours delays are rare.  They're not used
> to likes of Amtrak where this would be another day
> at the office.

Ahh yes, never miss a chance to take another cheap shot at Amtrak.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds