Home Open Account Help 370 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Barcelona to Valencia question

Date: 11/20/22 12:01
Barcelona to Valencia question
Author: symph1

I have a conference in Valencia, and we'll visit Barcelona first. Rather than take a super fast train, is there a slower, more scenic route? We're in no hurry. Is there a little village or town between the two that's worth spending the night in? Thanks for any advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/22 12:02 by symph1.

Date: 11/20/22 14:58
Re: Barcelona to Valencia question
Author: 86235

Both Barcelona and Valencia are served by AVE standard gauge high speed lines but they are also connected by the old 5'6" line which runs along the coast through Tarragona and Castello, a journey of 345 kms. There are a number of daily services of which the IC697 Torre del Oro might fit the bill. It connects Barcelona with Cadiz, near the Portuguese border, the end to end journey takes 12 hours, your hop from Barcelona to Valencia takes just over three hours (09:13 to 12:20).

Date: 11/21/22 20:45

Thank you for your help. Everythig on line I can find just shows the fast trains. Maybe is I put in the specific station in Barcalona it leaves from? Or the operator?

Date: 11/21/22 22:43
Author: gobbl3gook

You'll want to get the current edition of the former Thomas Cook European Train Timetable.  

It's available as an app for your phone.  

It has the schedule for all intercity trains in europe.  

You can also look at openrailwaymap.com to see the cities on the slow train routes to help look for tickets online.  

I'll post more details later tonight or tomorrow.  

Ted in OR 

Date: 11/23/22 09:49
Author: 86235

gobbl3gook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You'll want to get the current edition of the
> former Thomas Cook European Train Timetable.  

Yep, table 672

symph1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe is I put in
> the specific station in Barcalona it leaves from?
> Or the operator?

Barcelona Sants and Valencia Nord, the operator is RENFE

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/22 10:03 by 86235.

Date: 01/08/23 12:01

Thanks for all the advice. We ended up on the 11:03 from Barcelona Sants, had to change trains in Aldea-Amposta, arriving in Valencia Nord at 16:15. Some of the views along the coast were lovely, especially the small seaside towns near Barcelona.

The change of trains was a bit disconcerting. There was about a half hour between trains. We arrived on track 4, and the platform has two tracks, 4 and 5. Our connecting train pulled in northbound on track 5. Northbound. When that train pulled in, we were worried -- were we getting on the wrong train, perhaps one back to Barcelona? But everyone around us agreed, this was the right train. Even more confusing, another northbound train pulled in on 4, and some pax walked across the platform to our train. Then it left, continuing north. A minute or two later, we left, pulling out southbound. It changed directions there. Whew.

Immediately south of that town, a branch glided off, going inland. So things were clear. Our original train let us off, and must have taken that branch. Our second train must have came off that branch, stopped, reversed directions at the platform, and taken us to Valencia. Some of us flipped seats over so we could sit facing forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/23 22:44 by symph1.

Date: 01/09/23 12:19
Author: Lackawanna484

Following this thread with interest. Thanks for all the info

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.112 seconds