Home Open Account Help 303 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Railroads at War

Date: 11/22/22 08:41
Railroads at War
Author: TAW

That's the titme of a 1944 book by S Kip Farrington describing what US railroads accomplished during WWII. I don't think that can be done any more. Actually, I'm certain about that.

Meanwhile, in Ukraine:

"Our trains have an 85 per cent punctuality rate.”

"...not a single train has been cancelled since the beginning of the war, except when a station was bombed or a similar large catastrophe."

“This summer we have been preparing for winter already..."

“A bad decision is better than an untaken decision.... We needed to be fast and take responsibility.”

(Amtrak trains were on time 74% of the time in October 2022)

https://www.railtech.com/all/2022/11/22/running-trains-amidst-the-war-in-ukraine-we-are-hell-bent-on-making-trains-run-on-time-in-times-of-chaos/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%20week%202022-47

TAW

Date: 11/22/22 11:48
Re: Railroads at War
Author: jgilmore

Interesting and amazing stats, like you said could never be the case here in the US. Maybe the chaos on American railroads is because management has "bombed" the enterprise over and over again through the years...

JG

Date: 11/22/22 11:54
Author: engineerinvirginia

jgilmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting and amazing stats, like you said could
> never be the case here in the US. Maybe the chaos
> on American railroads is because management has
> "bombed" the enterprise over and over again
> through the years...
>
> JG

That seems to be the case...I guarantee we in trenches will pony up if needed...but the carriers will have to do their part too...

Date: 11/22/22 13:08
Author: MoPac1

Don't till Putin or he might hire Amtrak management to run his attacks on Ukraine!

Charlie Rice

Charles Rice
Saint Louis, MO

Date: 11/23/22 00:42
Author: TAW

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> That seems to be the case...I guarantee we in
> trenches will pony up if needed...but the carriers
> will have to do their part too...

Rock and MILW employees did a good job of keeping the railroad alive despite management. A war effort would take more than that. Railroad management has not demonstrated that they're capable of it.

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds