Home Open Account Help 245 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Roaming around Norway: Flåm Railway Edition

Date: 08/22/23 13:41
Roaming around Norway: Flåm Railway Edition
Author: NMlurker

Working our way south in Norway the next railway target was the short-but-scenic Flåm Railway. It travels from near sea level at Flåm up into the mountains to meet the Bergen-Oslo mainline at Myrdal. I would say this is the most tourist-oriented passenger train operation in Norway. Cruise ships dock in Flåm and tour buses converge on Flåm by the score. The line climbs slowly up a valley and then goes crazy with a series of loops and tunnels to complete the climb into Myrdal. Present operation is almost disappointingly modern, but I will start with the one vintage electric locomotive still on-site.

1. This broadside of what I will call a Class 17 #2230 shows the beautiful weather and the sheer rock walls cut by glaciers eons ago.

2. More of a 3/4 wedge showing the builders' plates.

3. And a rear view for completeness.

Date: 08/22/23 13:54
Re: Roaming around Norway: Flåm Railway Edition

4. For reference, here is the timetable. There are generally two trains out on the line through the daylight hours and the trains meet at Berekvam.

5. Several of the coaches are painted to show the locations along the line.

6. One of the scenic highlights of the trip is the stop at Kjosfossen where a Huldra (seductive forest creature) dances beside the waterfall and the remains of a building.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/23 09:54 by NMlurker.

Date: 08/22/23 14:15

7. A train arrives in Flåm behind a modern Class 18 Swiss-built locomotive with a six-car train and another locomotive on the rear. The current operator is Vy.

8. Meeting the down hill train at Berekvam.

9. Back in Flåm, an afternoon departure is captured. While there was mild disappointment over the modern locomotives, at least each one had a different scenic view on the side and they were even different on each side of a given locomotive. "See Norway. Take the train."

Date: 08/22/23 14:18

10. The rear locomotive on the prior train.

11. A little bit later in the afternoon another departure.

12. The rear locomotive of the above train.

Date: 08/22/23 14:26

13. The only thing (other than the small "Vy" on the nose) that distinguishes these locomotives from other operators is the small square plaque behind the cab.

14. This was one of my favorite scenes but I could never get a broadside view. At this angle the forest of trees scene looks like some kind of digital op art.

Date: 08/22/23 19:50
Author: WoodwardEJ

Flam also has a railway museum containing some interesting equipment.
Here's a still photo of Kjosfossen, as well as the Huldra

Date: 08/23/23 05:57
Author: DrawingroomA

Thank you for posting the photos. It brought back fond memories of the trip we took 10 years ago. We rode the train round-trip from Flam as we were docked on Cunard's  Queen Elizabeth.. The fjord is a UNESCO World Heritage site on which cruise ships will soon be banned unless they have zero emissions. As with Geirangerfjord it is highly unlikely I will ever see them again.

Stopping off at Kjosfossen both ways to view the waterfall with the "siren" singing in the background was a highlight. The only slightly uncomfortable aspect of the journey is the cramped seating which is in a 3 + 2 configuration.

Date: 08/27/23 09:33
Author: RNinRVR

YouTube poster Rail Cow Girl has several cab ride videos from times she has operated the Flam train, worth the look, it really is a beautiful line, of course no links allowed here.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0845 seconds