Home Open Account Help 287 users online

European Railroad Discussion > On This Day One Year Ago: Carlisle, England (Part 2)

Date: 09/07/23 10:39
On This Day One Year Ago: Carlisle, England (Part 2)
Author: NMlurker

After spending a lovely day at the Ribblehead Viaduct on the Carlisle & Settle line (previously posted), I had another two hours free in Carlisle before my train to Newcastle on September 7, 2022. I logged 14 movements between 4 and 6 PM.

1. Running at the exact time as the previous day's train is this southbound DRS container train curving through the Carlisle station behind a dual-mode Class 88.

2. A light engine move of a Class 66 owned by DB Schenker but still wearing the 'Wisconsin Central' paint scheme of the English, Welsh, and Scottish Railway.

3. In glorious sunshine is this GB Railfreight Class 66. This is the locomotive that brought the china clay train north on the Carlisle & Settle line and presumably took the train up to the Kingmoor Yard north of Carlisle but then came back light to refuel southeast of Carlisle.

Date: 09/07/23 10:48
Re: On This Day One Year Ago: Carlisle, England (Part 2)

4. Making a repeat appearance is this northbound container train with the GBRf Class 66 painted for Newell & Wright Transport and named "Made in Sheffield."

5. Now things are really getting crazy with a light engine move of a DRS-owned Class 37 in I'm-not-sure-whose-paint-scheme-that-is. Named the "Carl Haviland."

6. A going away shot of the Class 37 as it departs on a yellow signal. That is a locomotive with some character.

Date: 09/07/23 10:57

7. Running a bit behind schedule is the return of one of my favorites, the Royal Mail train.

8. And by the time that the end of the train passed the sun came out!

9. Even DRS has Class 66s! This might have been the only time that I saw these. They have the northbound Cobelfret/Russell container train in tow while a TransPennine Express departs southbound.

Date: 09/07/23 11:11

10. The aforementioned Cobelfret and Russell containers and showing the container flats on which they ride.

11. A Hitachi-built AT300 Class 802 of TransPennine Express arrives at Carlisle.

12. My last shot in Carlisle was this very pleasing northbound container train operated by DB Schenker but with an unrepainted EWS Class 66. A two-unit Northern DMU can be seen departing on the far right towards the coast and Barrow-in-Furness.

Date: 09/07/23 11:56
Author: King_Coal

NIce collection. Is the Royal Mail train still operating. If so, on which routes do they operate?

Date: 09/07/23 13:33
Author: 86235

NMlurker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 5. Now things are really getting crazy with a
> light engine move of a DRS-owned Class 37 in
> I'm-not-sure-whose-paint-scheme-that-is. Named the
> "Carl Haviland."
British Rail's later Intercity livery

King_Coal Wrote:
> on which routes do they operate?

London (PRDC Willesden) to Warrington RMT
Daventry to Glasgow (Shieldmuir) via Warrington RMT
London (PRDC Willesden) to Newcastle (Low Fell RMT)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/23 13:35 by 86235.

Date: 09/07/23 13:44
Author: SOO6617

King_Coal Wrote:
> NIce collection. Is the Royal Mail train still
> operating. If so, on which routes do they operate?

I would add to Nick's reply that they operate on
weekdays only.

Date: 09/07/23 13:48
Author: exhaustED

Very nice shots again - as well as 66747, 66726 also has a heffield connection; it's named Sheffield Wednesday after the football team.

The class 37, 37419 is in a retro/pre-privatisation livery from the 80s/90s known as BR mainline livery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/23 13:49 by exhaustED.

Date: 09/09/23 08:55
Author: kurtarmbruster

Surprised to see no yellow "hi-vis" nose patch on the TransPennine; how are they exempt? 

Date: 09/10/23 05:58
Author: 86235

kurtarmbruster Wrote:
> Surprised to see no yellow "hi-vis" nose patch on
> the TransPennine; how are they exempt? 

Modern units with high intensity LED headlights no longer have yellow panels.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds