Home Open Account Help 264 users online

European Railroad Discussion > On This Day One Year Ago: Around the Firth of Forth, Scotland

Date: 09/11/23 13:07
On This Day One Year Ago: Around the Firth of Forth, Scotland
Author: NMlurker

September 10, 2022 was another touristy day but on September 11, 2022, I had a free afternoon in Edinburgh that I devoted to riding across the Firth of Forth bridge on ScotRail DMU services in and out of Waverley station. I rode north to Inverkeithing, the second station north of the bridge, got on the next southbound to Dalmeny, the first station south of the bridge, to explore the bridge from the ground, and then reboarded a later southbound train to Edinburgh where the recently passed Queen would soon arrive from Balmoral.

1. My three-unit Class 170 DMU departs from Inverkeithing.

2. Having switched to the southbound platform, I liked this view of all the signals, signs, and trackwork. While the line splits here, both routes come back together at Thornton.

3. My southbound Class 170 DMU arrives at Inverkeithing to take me the short distance to Dalmeny.

Date: 09/11/23 13:19
Re: On This Day One Year Ago: Around the Firth of Forth, Scotland

4. Even the approach to the Firth of Forth bridge is so large that it dwarfs the trains. Here is a northbound consisting of two Class 158 DMUs and three Class 170 DMUs.

5. The enormous bridge looks like a piece of modern art despite being completed in 1890.

6. Back at the Dalmeny station, a northbound train of six Class 170 DMUs makes an appearance.

Date: 09/11/23 13:27

7. And the northbound six-car Class 170 DMU set departs from Dalmeny at 2:19 PM.

8. This was a southbound three-car Class 170 DMU set that was a through train and did not stop at Dalmeny.

9. Prior to my southbound train there was another northbound three-car Class 170 DMU set arriving at the well-kept station.

Date: 09/12/23 15:53
Author: 55002

Scotrail do look after their stations, all are in excellent condition, if not CCTV overkill. This maybe why they are well kept. The class 170 is an excellent DMU.
 Chris uk.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds