Home Open Account Help 359 users online

European Railroad Discussion > That’s a wrap! On the border

Date: 12/14/23 04:18
That’s a wrap! On the border
Author: railsmith

A brief visit to Austria in 2019 started with a day on the Brenner Pass line south of Innsbruck, which took me to the station of Brennero/Brenner on the Austrian/Italian border. The border literally runs across the station throat at the northern end, with the platforms in Italy.

During my hour there on September 14, I had the good fortune to see an Austrian locomotive wearing an overall vinyl wrap with graphics commemorating the 500th anniversary of the death of the ultimate Renaissance man, Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519).

OBB’s Siemens EuroSprinter locomotive 1216 019 had been unveiled wearing that wrap on May 7 that year, as part of the initiative to recognize the great man. It soon inspired HO scale models by Roco and Mӓrklin.

During my visit, it stopped at Brennero/Brenner just after noon, leading EuroCity train EC85 (09:34 – Munich Hbf.-Bologna Centrale).

It was only later that I learned the station had been the site of a meeting between Hitler and Mussolini on March 18, 1940, at a time before Italy entered the war.  Both dictators arrived in special armored trains and they met for two-and-a-half hours in Mussolini’s.  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17654494.  It’s hard to imagine a greater contrast – those extraordinarily evil men on the one hand and the cultured polymath Leonardo on the other.

In 2006, a sister 1216 type set the world speed record for electric locomotives in a trial run prior to delivery, without any modifications – 357 km/h or 222 mph. I think it’s most appropriate that a locomotive of this type be used to recognize Leonardo’s achievements. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/fastest-electric-locomotive

(1)  1216 019 at Brennero with EC85. The train is operated jointly by DB and OBB (the German and Austrian federal railways, respectively) but the equipment is OBB’s. Its Class 1216 tri-voltage locomotives can operate on the German, Austrian and Italian voltages.

(2)  This wrap is worth exploring in detail. This end features da Vinci’s achievements as an artist. Note the logo of model-maker Roco ahead of the cab door.

(3)  This section depicts Leonardo’s interest in science and anatomy. The script at the roofline reads “Cinquo Cento”, five hundred in Italian.

Date: 12/14/23 06:55
Re: That’s a wrap! On the border
Author: BlaineM

I'm old and behind technology amazed at wraps with no idea how and what it takes to wrap and for those incredible photos.  Thank you.
Blaine
American Fork

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds