Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > One quick Dispatcher story

Date: 12/12/12 14:53
One quick Dispatcher story
Author: joeygooganelli

I work out of Cincinnati on the Toledo sub. We use the NS tracks from Hamilton, OH to NA Tower, approximately 22 miles. Those of you who listen to CSX and NS on regular occasions will note some differences in how train crews and Dispatchers will communicate. Some are fairly loose. Others are strict as can be. This story is about John Marty. He passed around 5 years ago now.

I had been on a first name basis with John for quite some time. I would usually call him on the phone to get orders etc. I toned him up one day coming into Hamilton which was the norm back around 10 years ago. John Marty knew who was toning his radio.

He called, "NS New Castle District dispatcher Ft. Wayne to Joe Williams over."

"Go ahead, John."

"High Ball on my railroad, over."

"Roger"

"Tell Bobby Borger to call me when he gets down here, will ya?

"Yes Sir."

"NS New Castle Dispatcher, Out."

John was a real cadillac on the radio.

Joe

Date: 12/23/12 08:25
Re: One quick Dispatcher story
Author: penncentral74

I heard John one day when letting a Westbound out of Crescentville pass:

"Do you all think you can make it to Seven Mile without stopping if I get you lit up?"

"Sure John, why do you ask?"

"I see on your breakdown you got two 'little diggers'" (B23-7's). "You know how I am, fellows, give me EMD's every time!"

"We should be able to make it, John,"

"We'll, OK, but when you get in I think you should consign those things to Pielet Brothers!"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds