Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Wednesday at Work: Smokey and the Clifton Branch

Date: 07/09/13 22:50
Wednesday at Work: Smokey and the Clifton Branch
Author: railstiesballast

The Clifton Branch operates from the main line at Lordsburg, New Mexico, 69.9 miles to Clifton, Arizona. There it connects to the Phelps-Dodge copper smelter rail line which goes into the smelter complex northwest of town. The SP operated a daily turn, handling inbound copper concentrate and outbound copper anodes, plus acid, mine and mill machinery, and a few other loads. The line is dark TT and TO territory. It has gentle curves and grades until it reaches the Gila River at Guthrie, then there is a stiff climb with sharp curves and tunnels over a ridge then it descends into Clifton. The “easy” part of the line had 75 to 90 lb. jointed rail, with heavier rail from Guthrie to Clifton. David Myrick’s Railroads of Arizona Vol. III covers a complex set of early day mining and smelter roads around Clifton, of which this is the remaining operating line.

A couple of years ago I shared photos of a bridge burn-out and replacement on this line.

I got to know “Smokey”, the track inspector (sorry, no name because I have forgotten, and that is sad), after the eastbound (Lordsburg to Clifton) local derailed about 6 cars one morning on a broken rail, in the spring of ’74. Smokey and his track laborer were running ahead of the local and found the broken rail. Smokey didn’t use the flagging rules to protect this hazard, instead he ran several miles to Duncan where he phoned the Lordsburg operator but it was too late, the train was on the ground. (His motor car had no radio, he was running on a line-up.) The derailment cleanup was mostly routine; off track equipment set the cars back on the rail and helped us lay some panels and piece together the rest of the track. One unusual aspect to me was that Phelps-Dodge sent out an end loader and some dump trucks to recover the spilled copper concentrate. This was a damp green-gray sandy powder with about 25% copper content and was worth the effort.

The powers that be decided an investigation was in order as Smokey’s failure to flag properly was the last chance to prevent this derailment. Assistant Division Engineer W.C. “Clyde” Dunn was the hearing officer and I was the main company witness (because I had gone to the derailment for all of the recovery and investigation effort). “Monday Morning Quarterbacking” offered at least two very safe flagging options: he could have simply stayed at the broken rail and flagged the local down and used the locomotive radio to call for help, or he could have left his helper there to flag while he ran to Duncan and the phone. Adding to his rules problems was the fact that he did not have proper flagging appliances (red flag, fusees, and torpedoes) on the motor car. Responsible for the derailment? Certainly, all we had to do was get it on the record.

Then I got word from Division Engineer D. B. “Darrell” Zumwalt of an amazing tale of Smokey’s true dedication and value to the Southern Pacific. DBZ was in the habit of going for Sunday Drives around his division just to see what was going on and what was the state of maintenance. On one occasion he came upon Smokey out on the Clifton Branch installing rail anchors. On Sunday. Off the payroll. By himself. In conversation DBZ learned that he felt that part of the line was having a lot of running rail (creeping along the ties under traffic, a common problem only controlled by rail anchors) and with no time to work on it during his weekday patrols he simply had to get it done; rules for “no overtime” also had to be complied with so he just went to work, never counting on the big boss coming by. But there was a problem. Smokey as all alone out there on the desert: no car or truck. Before DBZ could get into that part of the story, up comes Mrs. Smokey, driving his personal pick-up, with another load of anchors. What had been uncovered was a devious plot involving the two of them: Smokey would knock on the anchors and his wife would occasionally go to town for more or them and bring something to eat and drink. Speechless is the only reaction DBZ could tell me.

We held the hearing, but I wasn’t exactly the prosecution’s star witness, as I got this tale onto the record. Clyde never asked me to be a witness again but Smokey didn’t miss any work or pay. But he did get confined to home for weekends once everyone understood the risks of working alone in the Arizona desert were understood and acknowledged.

Two tales, which turn out to be more typical than we might now expect, both reflecting the strong dedication to running a good railroad. Smokey (and Mrs. Smokey) trying his best to keep those 100-ton cars of acid and copper up on his 75-lb. rail had quite a few counterparts in the ranks who never were completely off duty, they always watched the railroad and would instantly lend a hand when something was amiss. Darrell represents the vast cadre of officers who had dedicated their career to making the SP as successful and they could, including lots of what the banking class would call personal time. Numbers from management reports helped guide their efforts, however their eyes and ears on the condition of the property and the actions of the employees were their primary input, and their leadership example of constant vigilance and high standards were all about railroading….on the ground more so than on paper. You would never find these men “steam heating” a Management by Objective goal.

First, the derailment, with some repairs started, we are building track and bringing cars back onto it.
Second, the Clifton Local headed for Lordsburg, coming out of one of the tunnels between Clifton and Guthrie.
Third, the same train a little further RR west (actually southeast).

Date: 07/10/13 08:03
Re: Wednesday at Work: Smokey and the Clifton Branch
Author: WAF

My,my, Mike, your "Smokey story" sounds awfully familiar to a story in your book, lol

Date: 07/10/13 08:05
Author: WAF

The Cifton had a lot of derailments in the early 80s. When I saw it in 1989, it was a very small train of ore. Copper prices low at that time

Date: 07/10/13 11:49
Author: tomstp

Nice to know that all the facts were considered. Anyone can make a mistake and still be a dedicated employee. All to often that "fire them" mentality prevailed.

Date: 07/10/13 16:03
Author: john1082

Somehow, finding a way to "spill the wine" is the optimum solution.

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 07/11/13 10:06
Author: cjvrr

Is that branch still in place?

Date: 07/11/13 14:40
Author: mococomike

yes the line is still very bust as part of the Arizona Eastern.

Date: 07/15/13 17:57
Author: spnudge

I have a question for you. Why were all the SP diamonds held to 25 mph? I have seen ones back east and those trains just roared across them. All the ones I came across, (LA, SF, Oakland, Binney Jct, Portland, etc.) were 10, 20 or 25 mph max. Even the one to Wendel at Stronghold.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds