Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > "Your ride is on the way"

Date: 12/10/13 15:56
"Your ride is on the way"
Author: santafe199

In May of 1979 I was approaching my 1 year anniversary in Santa Fe train service. I had survived the expected winter furlough and had been “called back” to the brakeman’s extra-board in Emporia, KS as of April 5. 6 weeks later I took a call for a 185 train, an intermodal hotshot running between Chicago and Texas. Compared to Santa Fe’s well-armed battalion of Chicago-California intermodal trains the 185 was more of a lukewarm-shot. Oh, it always seemed to qualify for 70 MPH running just like the big dogs. But it usually only drew secondary, 4-axle road power and usually not quite enough to maintain full track speed everywhere.

We had an uneventful trip from Emporia to Arkansas City. (Everybody calls it “Ark” City, for short.) We probably met the usual half-dozen or so opposing trains, but nothing about them jumps out of my memory. Approaching Ark City we called in & received radio instructions from the yardmaster to pull right down the mainline to the west end, and a ride would be sent for the head end. The rear end crew would step off as the waycar rolled by the yard office at the north (TT east) end of the yard. Depending on what needed to be done to the train the outbound rear end crew would either step on in motion or be taxied out later in the crew van.

My (senior) engineer on this overcast morning was a memorable character named Ed Morgan. Ed was a classic product of the steam days when men who spent the bulk of their careers sitting on a fireman’s or an engineer’s seat tended to be overweight. And Ed wasn’t called “Big Ed” for nothin’! But I don’t recall anyone ever using that moniker to his face; I know I never did. I was just a wee bit terrified of Big Ed early in my career. Not just because of his seniority & size, but also because he tended to be a gruff old cob with a booming voice to match. While we waited on that promised ride we entered into no conversation at all. And that awkward wait turned into a long & awkward wait. So long that Ed maneuvered his ample girth back up into the cab to call the yardmaster. “WHERE’S OUR RIDE??” could be heard booming out of the cab. A return crackle over the radio said “Your ride is one the way.” Since we were, in effect killing time, I was dying to get the camera out of my grip and snap a couple of shots. But I wasn’t about to incur any more wrath out of Big Ed than was already evident. I didn’t want that booming voice, now fully loaded, aimed in MY direction! And the interminable wait for our promised ride wore on. Ed must have gotten really bored because he slung his grip over his shoulder and started in on a little walking inspection of our 3 units’ running gear, starting with the fireman’s side. When he got around to the other side I saw my chance. I grabbed my camera & left my grip right there between 2 yard tracks and got my shot.

I walked back to my grip and as I was zipping it back up my heart exploded with adrenalin as that booming voice demanded to know “if I wanted a ride or not!” He had yelled at me from around the nose of the 6328 because the van had driven up & stopped just out of my sight. So I had inadvertently made Big Ed wait a few seconds longer than necessary. I was shaking in my boots as I walked over to the van. I slinked into the back seat and tried to make myself as small as possible, terrified of getting chewed on. But Ed never said another word. I suspect he had known I took a picture. It was no big secret that I was picture-shootin’ rail nut. But the fact that I could be relied on to do my job let me be more open about it.

A couple of years later I was in the Emporia wire office tying up from an inbound train. And Big Ed was sitting there, called for a Wellington hotshot. He got my attention and motioned me over. I moseyed over not knowing what to expect as he was digging around in his grip. He pulled out some color prints from a vacation trip into Iowa. He said “Do you know about this bridge?” And Ed proceeded to show me a few well-taken shots of the Kate Shelley Bridge near Boone. I was stunned! I said nothing, but I nodded my head and made direct eye contact. His eyes said it all. They had an ever-so-slight twinkle in them. I thought to myself: “Why, you crusty old booger! You’re a closet railfan!!!” (I’m sure I was right). I wanted to give Big Ed a Big hug, but didn’t. That woulda looked pretty strange in front the rest of the guys.

Ah heck, my arms wouldn’t have fit around him anyhow…

1. AT&SF 6328 is stopped with train 185 S-1 along parallel South E Street in Arkansas City, KS on May 20, 1979. The crew van is reportedly on the way…

2. Santa Fe engineer E. L. 'Ed' Morgan at the throttle of AT&SF 5651 on train 309 L-1 rolling through Ellinor, KS @ approx. 1845 hrs on October 12, 1980.
(this image added @ 1721 after Dennis Garrett mentioned his photo)

Thanks for listening!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/17 20:12 by santafe199.

Date: 12/10/13 16:48
Re: "Your ride is on the way"
Author: john1082

Certainly looks like a wide spot on that cab - what am I seeing?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 12/10/13 17:03
Author: RodneyZona

Emporia, KS based crews were used only on the old Texas Chief, Train 15-16 between either Kansas City and Newton or Kansas City and Purcell,OK (train crews) and between Emporia and and Arkansas City (engine crews). Emporia based operating crews were also used on the old San Francisco Chief between KC and Wellington, KS (train crews) and between Emporia and Wellington, KS (engine crews).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/13 18:05 by RodneyZona.

Date: 12/10/13 18:35
Author: ddg

You painted a good picture of Special Ed. I made my first Fireman pay trip with him. Ended getting hung out in a blizzard for almost four days with him. We left Emporia on the 304, and ended up clear out at Ellinwood pushing a wedge snow plow. Over the years though, I got more comfortable working with him, and decided even though he was plenty rough around the edges, he had a heart of gold, and would do anything for you, bitching all the way. It was just his style. Two of his children worked the road with him too, both trainmen/Conductors, you remember them both. Here's a photo I took of Ronnie before he retired maybe five years ago. A sheep in wolf's clothing too. I wish you had a photo of Ed, and the 6328 never looked better.

Date: 12/10/13 19:30
Author: santafe199

ddg Wrote:

> ... I wish you had a photo of Ed....

Ask & ye shall receive! I managed to shoot quite a few of the guys I worked with but I didn't think to look and see if I ever got a shot of Big Ed,
but here you go. I caught him in mid-blink, so he doesn't have that typical gruff look. I don't think I ever got another chance to shoot him...

Lance

Date: 12/11/13 08:30
Author: GP30Frank

Did you get out and wash #6328, before picturing it?? Awfully clean.

Frank, in Tennessee

Date: 12/11/13 14:45
Author: ATSF90East

That consist looks pretty typical for what the Santa Fe gave us for power on the East St. Louis trains when I worked for the Gateway Western. I'm also glad to see that other people wore Hawaiian shirts with bib overalls when working besides me. :-)

Date: 12/12/13 12:08
Author: 3rdswitch

I see what you mean by "warm shot", not power I would put on a shooter but that leader sure was fresh out of the booth.
JB

Date: 12/12/13 18:11

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see what you mean by "warm shot", not power I
> would put on a shooter but that leader sure was
> fresh out of the booth.
> JB

"And when you're not,... you're not".

Date: 12/26/13 14:12

I remember one of my first trips Firing for Big Ed. We ended up in Ark City, and were staying at the old Osage Hotel. I finally decided to get up and go have breakfast in the café at the street corner of the hotel. Ed was there, probably the last guy in the world I wanted to eat breakfast with, but I felt obligated, since I was working with him that trip. It might have offended him to sit down by myself at the table across from him. He didn't say much, probably felt the same way, we barely knew each other. He was drinking his coffee, and Trudy the waitress came by to take my order. I ordered oatmeal & coffee, and Ed broke the ice by saying "What's the matter, ain't you got no teeth ?"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1252 seconds