Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > AFT Maps Wichita to Topeka

Date: 03/30/14 16:35
AFT Maps Wichita to Topeka
Author: BoilingMan

MP did the switching in Wichita. The train had been turned around in Tulsa to accommodate the Wichita site, so the MP put it back together "right" before turning it over to the ATSF. (rather than wye the whole display consist, they simply wyed the Showcase Cars)
The trip to Topeka, and switching in Topeka, was all Santa Fe. Pilot crew changed in Newton. The press was picked up in Emporia. There was no water stop en route, but the 4449 was watered in Topeka before heading out to the site. 155 miles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/14 12:49 by BoilingMan.

Date: 03/30/14 20:08
Re: AFT Maps Wichita to Topeka
Author: livesteamer

I am guessing that you tied up on Forbes AFB in Topeka

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 03/30/14 20:41
Author: BoilingMan

Yes, where the red line is. Although, I can't remember if it was purely an AFB at the time or a mixed civil field as well.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/11/14 07:57
Author: switchlock

My dad and I sat at the south end of Sedgwick, between Wichita and Newton, for 3 hours before they rolled through about 6 AM. Our local marshal came by at one point to let us know there was derailment of some sort, thus the delay. It was well worth the wait; shooting the breeze with dad and experiencing my first live steam event. Mom and I went to tour the train during it's stop in Wichita. I had a a little 126 instamatic but do you think I bothered to take it with me?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

BTW, MANY thanks to BoilingMan for supplying the route maps. I've always been curious as to how they got where. Anyone have any notes or pics of the switching moves in Wichita?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/14 07:59 by switchlock.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds