Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Swapping Stories at the Yard Office

Date: 06/21/14 07:57
Swapping Stories at the Yard Office
Author: shortlineer

Some of the Old Heads were reliving the old days and sharing tales of dropping and kicking cars, getting off moving equipment, speeding, etc. A younger guy chimed in and said, "One of these days the best story I'll have is that I once closed an angle cock without calling "red zone". Brought down the house. Sad but true...

Date: 06/21/14 09:31
Re: Swapping Stories at the Yard Office
Author: john1082

When an official walks up to someone working in the field, is the worker to yell out "STRANGER DANGER"?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 06/21/14 12:01
Author: roustabout

shortlineer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of the Old Heads were reliving the old days
> and sharing tales of dropping and kicking cars,
> getting off moving equipment, speeding, etc. A
> younger guy chimed in and said, "One of these days
> the best story I'll have is that I once closed an
> angle cock without calling "red zone". Brought
> down the house. Sad but true...

Out here, we also ask the conductor to doublecheck the switch after he clears the red zone.

Kick 'em switcher!

Date: 06/21/14 17:24
Author: imrl

Ha! I can very much relate to this.

Date: 06/23/14 17:07
Author: SCKP187

Great story--I can relate to that--last week a switch crew was even specifying the time and track # when the derail was operated when they were making a set-out.
Brian Stevens

Date: 06/24/14 09:43
Author: DrLoco

specifying time and position of switches and derails is common in dark territory using a (Switch Position Awareness Form) SPAF. Those rules came about (like most things on the railroad) after the wreck on NS where a conductor left a switch open, and another train ran into their parked train, causing a chlorine tank to rupture. Just another layer of so-called "safety checks" that they think really help...

As far as old head stories, That's the funniest new hire/old head joke I've heard in a long time!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds