Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > For Boiling Man

Date: 09/15/14 22:39
For Boiling Man
Author: burlingtonjohn

I was fortunate to attend my third reunion of the crew of the American Freedom Train this past weekend in Columbus Ohio. SR, your name was thrown around; you were missed! Hope to see you in 2016 ....

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 09/16/14 01:38
Re: For Boiling Man
Author: IC_2024

Wow... I was 12 in '75 when I saw the train in Rockford, IL. My dad's best friend, Odell, owned Brooke Rd Cleaners and the AFT crew had their uniforms cleaned there, too.
I't s almost 40 years ago now... that's a lonnnnng time ago, now. I'm surprised "Boiling man" SR's able to recall all of the details so well-- must've taken some copious notes along the way.

Date: 09/16/14 08:24
Author: BoilingMan

Ha! That's great- thanks!
Yeah, I was at the '12 reunion, and I'll be at the next one in 2016. That will be the 40th (!!!) and will be in Portland- not to be missed! I got several calls over the week-end asking for help with odd trivia questions (what was the AFT's radio call ID? KAB 0496, duh) Always a fun get together.
Mark- I didn't so much as take notes as take pictures. (you know- a 1000 words, and all that) Also I made off will many of the "Trip Synopsis'" which have been a gold mine of info on routing and site maps. These are the foundation of my stories.
SR

There were only a dozen or so copies of the synopsis printed the day before each move, and they were passed out to department heads. Somehow Marty in the Office Car figured out who was swiping them, and told me to knock it off! (BUSTED!)
I kept doing it.
She eventually broke down and started printing one extra copy for me.

Date: 09/16/14 11:09
Author: towazy

I know I have a few in my collection also,although not sure which ones.Not sure if I remember correctly,but didn't we get a copy at the operations meetings we had right before teardown? Maybe it was just one that was passed around but I know I have a few.

Date: 09/16/14 11:25

OMG!
Tom! I NEED them!
I'm missing several from the upper east coast, and can/will go back and update my map postings if I can find any of them. Can you see if you find them and let me know which ones you have? PM me!
Yes, we got one or two for the 10 Wagon to pass around, but Greg kinda kept an eye on them. But some of mine are marked '10 wagon'.
SR

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/14 17:23

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marty in the Office Car figured out who was
> swiping them, and told me to knock it off!
> (BUSTED!)
> I kept doing it.
> She eventually broke down and started printing one
> extra copy for me.

Marty is doing well .... good to see her again.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 09/16/14 17:37

Nice.
Actually there are two Marty's (Office Car & Tickets-at least I think she was tickets), but both were probably there.
SR

I see Todd there- hope he picked up some new stories!

Date: 09/16/14 17:58
Author: mapboy

"Boiling Man"- is that a play on "Burning Man Festival"? What's the origin of the name?

mapboy

Date: 09/16/14 18:31

Yes, it is. The Burning Man thing happens 'just over the hill' from here, so it gets a bit of attention.
Most Octobers when the aspens turn, I head for Chama.
A few years ago I dub'd this pilgrimage "Heading off to Boiling Man".
So it's a reference to "All Things Good & Skinny" in Chama.
SR
Hosanna!

Date: 09/17/14 06:56

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice.
> Actually there are two Marty's (Office Car &
> Tickets-at least I think she was tickets), but
> both were probably there.
> SR
>
> I see Todd there- hope he picked up some new
> stories!

Marty Homiak was there ... Marty Rothchild (think I spelled that correctly) didn't make it this year.

Both Todd and I picked up quite a few stories and a few goodies at Sunday night's auction ...

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 09/17/14 09:39
Author: towazy

I'll look for them this weekend. I doubt I have any from the northeast as I was still new at that point and getting the feel of things,so "collecting" souvenirs was not on the radar yet.I think most of what I have in regards to the synopsis is from the last four months leading up to Miami. If those are of any use to you let me know and I'll tell you what I have.

Tom

Date: 09/17/14 11:27

Thanks Tom
I'll PM you a list (we're probably getting dangerously close to violating a TO protocol of some sort!)
SR

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds