Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > A Long Day With a Steamy FL9

Date: 09/30/14 19:33
A Long Day With a Steamy FL9
Author: PCCRNSEngr

When the first Viewliners were being built by Amerail in Hornell, NY Amtrak would run Specials from Niagara Falls to Hornell to pick up the new cars. An Amtrak crew would come out of Niagara Falls and pick up Conrail Pilots in Buffalo for the trip to Hornell and return over the Southern Tier Line.

Buffalo must have been out of extra men as late in the evening of July 29, 1996 I got called to deadhead from Corning, NY to Buffalo to turn on one of these Amtrak Specials. Finally I caught one of these special moves and with the deadhead to Buffalo, round trip to Hornell and then another deadhead back from Buffalo this was going be a good paying trip.

After my Conductor and I arrived in Buffalo the Special had not yet departed Niagara Falls. Little over an hour we climbed in the crew van for the short ride over to Clinton Street to meet the Special. The Special consisted two units GP40 199 and FL9 485 and one Viewliner heading back to Hornell for warranty work. First thing the crew said the GP40 was no good and isolated with continuous ground relays. With the FL9 for sole power was no problem and it gave us a quiet ride with the GP40 in idle. Departed Buffalo around 3am and so was up to track speed. Out of Buffalo for half of the way to Hornell you are on an ascending grade. It wasn't long and we had bells ringing but we were still moving along. The Amtrak Engr went back to check things out and shortly he returned saying that the FL9 was running hot. A look back and it was popping off like a steam locomotive shooting steam straight out the water fill pipe on the roof. Shortly it died and we slowing came to a stop about half a mile from the top of the grade West of Attica. By holding the water button in we were able to craw to the top and coast down to Attica.

A call to the Southern Tier Dispatcher we gave our problem and that I knew there was a water hose at the Attica station. He said he had a Westbound D&H train to get through and if we could pull east of CP ATTICA he could get #271 by and then we could back into the interlocking to get water.
Yes I did carry the camera and got some shots as we waited. Soon #271 was by and we backed to the station and spotted for the water hose.

A quick look through the window and yep there is the hose. Now another problem was the door was locked with a MofW lock. Now what!!! Right across the station is the DPW building for the Village of Attica. One of the Village employees was curious and in talking to him our dilemma he was about ready to park the street sweeper for the night. He had about 200 gallons of water on board. He pulled the street sweeper up beside the FL9 and soon we were topped off.

Back on the move but Attica is in a hole and we had a hefty climb to Linden before the grade lessened. Wasn't long and the bells were ringing again and the steam was leaving a nice trail over the train. As it turned out the radiator fans were not operating. Another call to the Dispatcher that we would need to take siding at Rock Glen so we could get water at the station in Silver Springs. Again the FL9 died but holding the water button and restarting the engine we nursed it to Silver Springs.

Pulled up beside the station and there was the hose on the back side of the station. FOUR FEET yes four feet too short. I knew it would work if we got over on to the Rochester & Southern track which ran on the back side. So through the crossover we back up to the station blocking one street and got water. I would say this is the only time an FL9 and a Viewliner has even been on the R&S the former B&O-BR&P.

This load of water was enough to get us to Hornell as we only had one more short grade up from the Genesee River crossing at Letchworth State Park. From there it is decending to Hornell. Arrived at Hornell we cut the inbound Viewliner off on the controlled Siding so Amerail's MK S6 could come out and pick it up. We picked up the outbound cars and put them out on the Siding. Then we backed the power into the plant so an electrician could work on getting the FL9 fans working. Word was we were okay and we got the train ready for the return trip.

By this time I was running short on time and was informed a new pilot crew was going to arrive shortly. This is where I left and later found out that the new crew made it to Swains where they died completely. That crew taxied to Buffalo for an engine. They got back to the dead train and got it into Buffalo before they outlawed. A third crew finally got it to Niagara Falls.

1. When things are running good. I was Eastbound making the meet with the Amtrak SPL with FL9 486 which had Viewliner 62001 Atlantic View at Rock Glen, NY May 8, 1996.
2. AMTK SPL1 199-485 waiting for D&H #271 to pass Attica, NY July 30, 1996.
3. D&H #271 passing at Attica, NY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 19:42 by PCCRNSEngr.

Date: 09/30/14 19:36
Re: A Long Day With a Steamy FL9

4. AMTK SPL1 199-485 getting water at Silver Springs, NY sitting on the Rochester & Southern RR July 30, 1996.
5. Hey the hose reaches.
6. Amerail MK S6 picks up the inbound Viewliner Hornell, NY July 30, 1996

Date: 09/30/14 19:38

7. Having set out the outbound cars ready to back the power into the plant for repairs.
8 & ( Ready to roll west for Niagara Falls. July 30, 1996

Date: 09/30/14 19:59
Author: AndyBrown

Great story and fantastic photos! Love it! I miss that era on Amtrak with good variety and the good paint scheme.

Andy

Date: 09/30/14 20:02
Author: Topfuel

Shots 6 and 7 show the former Erie station in Hornell before it was rebuilt. Fortunately it looks a lot better today, though the interior is not very original since the building has been "repurposed".

Date: 10/06/14 14:59
Author: jst3751

I am trying to figure out which is more interesting: That the Viewliners are now approaching 20 years old or that in 1996 there was still an operating FL9.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds