Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Staring down a [s]cowl

Date: 11/29/14 10:53
Staring down a [s]cowl
Author: santafe199

For a few days in March of 1984 I was on a work train. As I recall we were just a scrap ‘picker-upperer’. We had unit 3687 with a few gondolas & a Burro Crane in tow equipped with an electro-magnetic dish. This was used to pick up loose tie plates, spikes, angle-bars & all sorts of other scrap metal odds & ends that the M.O.W. boys had piled up in various places around El Dorado & Augusta, KS.

In the course of our typical day we would make almost as many reverse movements as we would in the traditional forward direction. This particular day I was the rear brakeman. Along about mid-morning the train dispatcher stashed us away in an auxiliary track and told us to “stay there for a few”. That didn’t sound very good. Apparently that classic noon time rush of trains was headed our way.

We had no other choice but to sit and watch a half-dozen trains roll by in both directions. What the heck, it was a nice day and with my camera I was able to pick off a couple of the westbounds in decent light. Then we got the radio call we were waiting for. The DS would be ready for us after just 1 more westbound, so he gave us permission to pass the red dwarf signal and re-enter the westbound siding, watching out for cars ahead. With the crew once again rounded up I took up my post on the rear platform of our waycar. I could see a distant headlight to the east as we started our movement…

[I’m sure every group of railfans that spends any time at all chasing & shooting RR subjects together will come up with their own unique phrases & witticisms. We in the KS Gang of the 80’s certainly had a few. One of these was in reference to the famous EMD cowl 1st seen circa 1967 around Uncle John Santa Fe’s mainlines. These were of course, the brand new F & FP-45s. When any one of us would score an EMD cowl on the point of a train and later show that slide in one of our innumerable & informal slide shows we had come to say: “Look at the SCOWL… on the COWL!!” Cornball? Sure! But we made our fun by over-emoting & over-emphasizing both words, and somehow it never got old.]

I stood on the rear platform of my waycar, now rolling slowly eastward. The headlight I saw just a few seconds earlier was now the rapidly-expanding face of an EMD cowl. I could clearly make out those 2 oddly shaped front windows & the cigar-band emblem. A dark blue pilot completed a sinister “face”. Indeed, the windows looked like black eyeballs, with the number-board eyebrows and the dark pilot creating a sort of scowling smirk. Some hotshot piggy-backer was going to blow by my perch just a few feet to my right. To be sure, this train was in the process of reducing from a top speed of 70 MPH down the 30 MPH restrictions over E 5th St & US hwy 77 crossings. But that was still several hundred feet of track to the west of my rolling position. I took a medium telephoto shot, then lowered my camera. My spine tingled just a tiny bit as that ‘SCOWL on the COWL’ rushed by me. I think I was smiling…

1. AT&SF 5985 leads a westbound (Chicago-LA train 188?) through the crossover plant at Augusta, KS on March 6, 1984.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/14 11:16 by santafe199.

Date: 11/29/14 11:00
Re: Staring down a [s]cowl
Author: kdrtrains

Lance, VERY COOL!

KR

Date: 11/30/14 16:13
Author: hogheaded

Well Lance,

There's there's no "scowl" on my "cowl" while looking at your fine shot. Paid railfanning was the absolute best thing going before employee photography became treasonous, eh?

-E.O.

Date: 12/04/14 15:09
Author: SD45X

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well Lance,
>
> There's there's no "scowl" on my "cowl" while
> looking at your fine shot. Paid railfanning was
> the absolute best thing going before employee
> photography became treasonous, eh?
>
> -E.O.

Indeed!!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds