Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > I ran into an old friend last week...

Date: 04/08/15 14:20
I ran into an old friend last week...
Author: santafe199

I reconnected with an old RR friend the other day down in Kansas City’s famed West Bottoms. I hadn’t seen this friend for over 30 years! There wasn’t very much conversation between us. But then, I guess there’s not a whole lot to talk about after 3 decades of separation.

We first met (with me behind a tripod) on a depot platform in the dark of the night in Emporia, KS. It was 2 days before Christmas in 1977. Later on, in the spring of 1978 a change in my employment status would bring me a lot closer to my new acquaintance, who was already working for the same, albeit new [for me] employer. We would cross paths quite a few times in the next 7 years, becoming fast friends.

There is one memorable occasion where we would actually work together on the same day. In fact, my friend would provide me with some very welcome shelter during this very cold day in January of 1985. The wing was whipping & the snow was flying! But I managed to put my camera to use.

I would see my friend again in later that spring. I couldn’t know it, but it would be the last time while we still shared mutual employment. Inescapable political & economic factors would cause my career to turn north, then west to Montana. My friend’s career took an even worse turn. The job my friend was performing was unceremoniously yanked away, you might say. Sadly, I was not able to stay in contact my friend for these past 30 years.

So it was indeed a warm reunion last week. I discovered my friend now rests in retirement on the “Riverfront Heritage Trail” near the confluence of two rivers in the West Bottoms. The “Kaw” (Kansas) River sweeps across Kansas from the west, joining with the Missouri River meandering down from the wilds of Montana. Together they would cross the “Show Me State” to join with the country’s most famous river; the Mighty Mississippi near St. Louis! I am thrilled to see my friend at work as an ambassador to history, namely the history of frontier railroads in  Kansas City’s early days.

You can visit my old friend on the Riverfront Heritage Trail towards the east end of W 8th St in the Bottoms, right across from the SW end of the “Gooseneck”. If you can’t visit my friend in person, here are a few images:

1. & 2.  AT&SF 999508 is long-retired from Santa Fe train service, and has found a new job on the “Riverfront Heritage Trail” at the north end of Kansas City’s West Bottoms of industrial & KC Stockyards fame. It is April 2, 2015.

Date: 04/08/15 14:22
Re: I ran into an old friend last week...

3. AT&SF 999508 is tacked onto the rear end of Texas-bound train 305 W-1. The train is stopped to trans-load company mail & other items. It is a chilly December 23, 1977 in Emporia, KS.

4. & 5. AT&SF 999508 is my warm & sheltering ride down to Arkansas City aboard grain train G-KCBM 1-19. We are stopped on the main at Matfield Green, KS to let a swifter 308 train around us through the siding. The dispatcher is evidently trying to prevent a possible logjam by letting us crawl up the .6 % grade between Matfield & Cassoday first. It is January 19, 1985.

Date: 04/08/15 14:23

6. While out shooting pictures later that spring I would catch the 999508 on the rear end of train 1-951-02 coming down Crocker Fill just east of Matfield Green. I was playing with a K-2 (?) yellow filter and wouldn’t discover this was the ‘508 until checking the train register later on that night at the Emporia wire office. The date is May 4, 1985. I had no idea this would be the last time I would see my waycar pal again for nearly 30 years…

Thanks for looking back & forth!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 04/08/15 15:10
Author: stash

Is that a railroad bridge in photo 1?

Date: 04/08/15 16:30
Author: kdrtrains

Great story Lance as always. Love your stuff!

Ken Rhoads

Date: 04/08/15 19:04
Author: Notch16

Swell post!

~ BZ

Date: 04/08/15 19:07
Author: The_Chief_Way

Nice piece, buddy !

Date: 04/08/15 19:53
Author: ironmtn

Great story, terrific images. Always good to meet an old friend, isn't it?

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 04/08/15 20:17

ironmtn Wrote: >  Always good to meet an old friend, isn't it?

Yessir! It was a pretty special few minutes! As I was walking around, doing the photo-study thing I remembered the night shot from '77 & the Crocker Fill shot from '85. But I had totally forgotten the blizzard shots at Matfield. Even so I had about half of this thread written up in my mind before getting back in the car. Funny how things work out. But it shouldn't be any surprise that by seeing a certain caboose or engine multiple times over a full career a given railroader will attach to it/them...

Guys: I do appreciate all of the kind words, even if I don't speak up every time I receive them. Thank-you all! These compliments are the "icing on the cake" that graces the fun of sharing words & photos...

Lance

Date: 04/09/15 05:53
Author: sp8192

No.   Its the connection from I70 to I35 south.

stash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that a railroad bridge in photo 1?

Date: 04/09/15 13:38
Author: ddg

Being a Fireman, I only rode a few waycars. I deadheaded home a few times, and when I was late for work at Emporia (short calls, and still driving from Topeka) a couple of times, I barely caught the way car when the train I was called for left the depot before I got there. Rode one to Ark City, and one to Wellington when that happened.  The last one I rode was on the Midland RR from Baldwin to Ottawa & return about two years ago. I bought a couple of tickets for me and my brother, and we enjoyed a leisurely fall afternoon trip in the coupola. Hated to see them go, and always enjoyed what few miles I had riding the rear end.

Date: 04/10/15 23:51
Author: GN599

How's your family? Not so good, a lot of them got scrapped.

Date: 04/13/15 15:25
Author: jtwlunch

Lance,

Great series, I can remember standing on the platform at Emporia during the days of rolling crew changes watching cabooses like the night shot,  Brings back great memories.

Jim Wilson

Date: 04/14/15 12:05
Author: ATSF93

North is to the left.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0702 seconds