Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > An Explosion on the Georgetown Loop

Date: 08/26/15 16:15
An Explosion on the Georgetown Loop
Author: tehachcond

As a biographical note, I put in 40 years with the Southern Pacific/Union Pacific in train service.  In 2006, I retired, and in 2007, we moved back to Colorado.
   A chance visit to the Georgetown Loop caused me to hire out with them as a conductor and fireman.  As the mechanical superintendent at the time, Dave Lathrop said, "we need someone with Class 1 road experience."  I was also called into service as a trainer for the new folks.
   Anyway, on the 4th of July of that year, it was planned to run an employees special from Silver Plume to Devils Gate, (Georgetown).  At Georgetown, a barbecue dinner was provided and after everyone had eaten, the train proceeded up to the High Bridge so employees, friends, and family could view the fireworks display that Clear Creek County put on.  The crew of this special was Willie Maine, Conductor, myself as brakeman, Steve Flemmer, Engineer, and Don Cummings, Fireman.  Our power for the night was 2-6-2 No. 12.
   The 12 had been used that day for the regular service trains, and since there was a considerable period of time between the regular schedule and the special, the fire had been turned off.  At the time in question, we had re lit the fire and were getting the steam pressure built back up.  We were taking turns on fire watch, as one of the Georgetown Loop's rules were that someone had to be in the cab whenever there was a fire on the engine.
   My turn had just ended as someone relieved me so I was back in the office drinking a cup of coffee when  "BOOOM!!!, this huge noise erupted.
   We all thought the 12 had blown up!  My life flashed in front of me as I recalled that the water and steam levels I had left were just right.  The pressure was rising at about a pound and a half a minute, which is just right.  When we all poured out of the office not knowing what to expect to find, we found the 12 sitting there quietly drumming to herself as I had left her.
   We are all scratching our heads wondering what what the hell had just happened, here comes Dan Adler, one of the Georgetown's other hogheads with a big grin on his face.  Seems as though, he had a 2 inch black powder cannon, hid out in the bushes above the roundhouse, and set that thing off!
   We all had a good laugh over this, and now its time to get ready to load passengers.  Along with the passengers, we loaded Dan's cannon as well.  When we spotted the train at the High Bridge for the fireworks, we unloaded the cannon and Dan fired it off several times.  The fireworks people down at Georgetown must have wondered what was going on.
   After the fireworks were over, it was time to return to Silver Plume.  Of course, it was after dark, and Steve had the 12 barking away on the grade, while Don worked a little more atomizer than usual, so fire was blasting out the bottom of the firebox, putting on a great show on the curves.
   All and all, a very successful evening.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 08/27/15 17:26
Re: An Explosion on the Georgetown Loop
Author: ATSF2324

Great story!

Gus
Colorado Springs

Date: 08/27/15 20:49
Author: CPR_4000

Great headline . . . ya made me look! :-)

Date: 09/16/15 15:17
Author: Robertjohndavis

I love stories of steam railroading in the tourist era. Thank you!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1983 seconds