Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Did anyone eat at Schellville (SP/NWP)

Date: 01/31/16 19:46
Did anyone eat at Schellville (SP/NWP)
Author: ValvePilot

Most of the SP sponsored meal houses were gone by the mid-sixtes. But the one at Schellville was still turning out meals
in 1967 and maybe later. SP ran a turn or two to Schellville and interchanged cars with the NWP. Upon arriving and setting
out the mostly empties, the crew headed for beans. The fee for the meal was $1.50. You could pay in cash or sign a
chit and the amt would be taken out of your paycheck. After beans you had quite a bit of work to do blocking the incoming
loads of lumber. It was always dark by the time you left and if you couldn't get past the desert yard in West Oakland you
would be looking at "hours of service"

Date: 02/07/16 11:37
Re: Did anyone eat at Schellville (SP/NWP)
Author: jbwest

Was that a J.V. Moan operation?  I remember eating at the J. V. Moan eating houses at Owenyo and Wendell. 

JBWX

Date: 02/07/16 12:54
Author: Railbaron

The NWP had 2, one at Geyserville into the early 70's (good food, lots of it) and I believe at Fort Seward, although I don't know when that one closed.

Date: 02/07/16 13:30
Author: WAF

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The NWP had 2, one at Geyserville into the early
> 70's (good food, lots of it) and I believe at Fort
> Seward, although I don't know when that one
> closed.

Geyersville and Ft Seward closed in 1982

Date: 02/12/16 19:28
Author: SteveD

Cook at Geyserville as wondeful always laid out a table of great food, hungry stomachs were counted at Schellville and wired ahead so all would be in readiness when north and southbound haulers met there--yum!, 

Steve Donaldson
Pacific Grove, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/16 19:48 by SteveD.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds