Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > 3-29 Vietnam Era Day.

Date: 03/29/18 14:38
3-29 Vietnam Era Day.
Author: spnudge

I know this isn't "Railroad", but I still think folks should know.

I got my Medal today at 1:00 PM at the Eagle Point Cemetery. This was done elsewhere at 800 other VA cemeteries around the country. I guess Trump signed it into law last October. You had to serve between 1955 & 1975. Its supposed to be a yearly thing.

Im sure there are a lot of rails out there that did their time. You didn't have to serve in-country to qualify, just during the era.

Nudge US Army 67-69

Date: 03/29/18 15:55
Re: 3-29 Vietnam Era Day.
Author: wa4umr

I went to Mission BBQ today. I knew that this was the Vietnam Era day but didn't know about anything special happening. The crowd was a bit larger than usual but not excessive. As I went through the line to order my food, they were taking the names of veterans, their branch of service and when and where they served. At noon, the manager came on the PA system as he usually does and asks everyone to stand for the National Anthem. This is normal for Mission BBQ in all of their stores. After the Nation Anthem, there was a roll call and each veteran was asked to stand to be recognized. Probably 30% of the people in the place were veterans. There was someone from all of the services except the Coast Guard and one veteran was a veteran of the D-day landing at Normandy France. They also had announcements and information about the Kentucky Honor Flights.

Mission BBQ is a small chain of about 60 locations in 13 states in the Eastern US. They are supportive of veteran and service organizations. BTW, they have some pretty good food. When they do catering they do some cooking on sight and they do it in an old deuce and a half. That's a 2-1/2 ton truck for those of you that never wore the uniform.

John
U. S. Army 1968-1971

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/18 16:02 by wa4umr.

Date: 03/29/18 18:45
Author: PHall

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know this isn't "Railroad", but I still think
> folks should know.
>
> I got my Medal today at 1:00 PM at the Eagle
> Point Cemetery. This was done elsewhere at 800
> other VA cemeteries around the country. I guess
> Trump signed it into law last October. You had to
> serve between 1955 & 1975. Its supposed to be a
> yearly thing.
>
> Im sure there are a lot of rails out there that
> did their time. You didn't have to serve
> in-country to qualify, just during the era.
>
>
>
> Nudge US Army 67-69

So which medal is this?

USAF/USAFR/CA ARNG 74-05

Date: 03/29/18 19:36
Author: Trainhand

If you were in Nam WELCOME HOME1111

sam

Date: 03/29/18 20:00

It states:

"Vietnam War" That is on top of a gold eagle.
Under the eagle is "Veteran"

On the back it states: "A Grateful Nation Thanks and Honors You."

Nudge

Date: 03/29/18 20:42
Author: JimBaker

I was in USAF Communication Technician in the Mc Clellan AFB 2049th Comm Group Crypto Technician, 1963-1967.
Spent most of my spare time in Roseville, some TDY in Ogden, Utah and worked on the Camino Cable & Northern in El Dorado County.
So I was described as a Viet Nam Era Veteran.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/18 21:03 by JimBaker.

Date: 03/30/18 06:51
Author: livesteamer

My wife and I are both Air Force veterans having entered active duty in 1972. But, we never considered ourselves Vietnam Era veterans as we NEVER served in SEA. We carry the label of Cold War era veterans and to me that is a very important distinction. Our comrades who served in SEA deserve so much more credit than us.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 03/30/18 07:03
Author: co614

I enlisted at age 17 in 1957 in the U.S.Army through a program then offered that if you signed up prior to your 18.5 birthday you had your choice of 1st.,2nd., 3rd. choice of training school after basic training. My first choice was Fort Eustis as they still used steam locomotives, second choice was helicopter school and third choice was cavalry school as they still had horses.

I got real lucky in Basic Training in that all the rest of my Company were older guys from Brooklyn,NY who got drafted and were from Kosher Jewish homes and hated the Army food. I'd get the guy ahead of me and the guy behind me portions and at 17 when they run you all day you can't eat enough.

I did my 8 weeks basic at Ft.Dix ( NJ) and in my 8th. week my orders came through to report to Ft.Knox for tank training. With difficulty I got an appointment with the Company 1st.Sgt. He looked at my orders after I explained the program I enlisted through and I'll never forget his next words...." get the f... out of my office and report to Ft.Knox".

I did and rather enjoyed being a tanker.

I've long felt that we should do what the Israeli's do.....every kid must do 2 years service upon graduating high school NO EXCEPTIONS.

Ross Rowland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/18 08:14 by co614.

Date: 03/30/18 11:06
Author: sp3204

spnudge, thank you for alerting me of this, I had no idea. Drafted in 1969, I was in Viet Nam
from Jan 21, 1970 to Mar 23, 1971 with a combat MOS...Hell we were draftees! I will have to
check into this.

Date: 03/30/18 13:27
Author: Buhl56

AFAIK if you served in or near Vietnam for over 180 days (or disabled out) between 1961 and 1975 you are eligible for a Vietnam Service medal.

If you served elsewhere between about 1964 and 1975, (and were eligible for service in Vietnam?) then you are a Vietnam Era Veteran, and now eligible for that medal. This medal may also now apply to people who served elsewhere during other declared wars...

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/18 12:06 by Buhl56.

Date: 03/30/18 15:14

Bill,

That isn't what we were told yesterday. This had been signed and Trump signed it into law in October, 2017.

We were also told that the 29th would be a National Holiday, every year. (I don't know about that with the congress that's back in DC")

In the speech yesterday and in the newspaper it was stated, "If you served between 1955 and 1975", you were to get this pin. Its a little to late for a lot of people.

Its not only for the people that served in-counrty but also other Vets that served around the world at the time, in any branch of service. You were spit on in airports, called baby killers, you name it. The last thing you wanted to do is wear your Class As away from post.

Your DD-214 tells it all, when and where and what awards, campaigns, you name it.

My outfit had two Presidential Citations that we were required to wear on Class As, and were for WWII in Germany & Korea.( I wasn't even a gleam in my Dads eye at that time.) We also had special epalits that showed a steam engine & signal with "Thru at any cost" on it. Plus of course all your weapon awards, M-60, 45, M-79 launcher, M-14, M-16, etc. You also had to wear any ribbon you got.

Nudge

Date: 03/31/18 08:31
Author: livesteamer

There is now (at least for the Air Force) a decoration that applies to those of us who were Cold War era warriors and served in units that were responsible for nuclear weapons.

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 03/31/18 11:15

Marty,

Glad to hear it. Thanks,

Nudge

Date: 04/02/18 16:40
Author: zars

I did not know that, now I do. I went in the Army in early January 1973; the draft ended and the Paris accord was signed ending US involvement in Vietnam during my basic training. Later, when I was stationed in Germany came the fall of Saigon. My sister was in 'nam as an Army Nurse (Class of 1970) and most all the NCO's I served under, at every duty station, had served there at least one tour. While I was never there, I have been always been considered a Vietnam-Era veteran.

Date: 04/04/18 13:31
Author: ShastaDaylight

To all who served, and served faithfully during that era (and all others from other eras), a sincere THANK YOU for serving!

With deepest respect,

ShastaDaylight

Date: 04/04/18 18:46
Author: 611Doug

Grateful thanks to all, men and women, that have served past, present and in the future.

Thank-you for your sacrifice.

Doug Freas

Date: 04/06/18 21:25
Author: MRS11813

Can you post a photo of the award. Thanks MRS11813

U. S Army MOS 65J and 65H
714th 1971 and Cold War Germany 1972 to 1974

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/18 21:29 by MRS11813.

Date: 04/07/18 21:37
Author: mococomike

Does this apply to decreasesd veterans? My dad did two terms there prior to 68.

Date: 04/09/18 11:54
Author: hawkinsun

I totally agree with Ross Rolland. Upon completion of high school, every teen should have to put in two years of service in the military. No ifs, ands, or buts.
I am a Viet Nam veteran, and I used to piss my mother off when I said I got a better education in the military than when I went to college. You just get a better view of our world, its politics, and our government. The good and the bad. It just makes you more well rounded for everyday life.

I was a draftee in the Army and I was trained to work on Huey Helicopters (67N20). Spent 124 days in Nam . Marble Mtn Air facility, DaNang RVN. Part of 1968, and all of 1969. I was one of the lucky ones that survived, physically. Mentally, I don't know.

To keep this Railroad related, I did watch the trains in Viet Nam.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1345 seconds