Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > "above and Beyond the Call of Duty" !!??

Date: 04/05/18 13:38
"above and Beyond the Call of Duty" !!??
Author: hoggerdoug

Along time ago, while going on duty at our away from terminal, Prince George BC on the former BC Rail, my Conductor and I were in the bull pen, booking room checking over our paper work etc. One of our (BC Rail) supervisor was in chatting with us and asked if we had come up on train 571 yesterday evening. Yes we had brought 571 to Prince George. Well he mentioned that the Superintendent wanted to "chat with us". My Conductor and I were trying to think or figure out perhaps what we had done that the Superintendent needed to chat to us. Anyhow, Mr. Evens the Super arrived and presented us each a nice hat, the "CN Dream Team" ballcap. We asked Mr. Evens what this was for and he stated it was for "over and above the call of duty". My Conductor and I immediately thought that he had the wrong crew. The assistant superintendent had asked the Superintendent to present us these hats in recognition of our "over and above the call of duty", definitely the wrong crew in our opinion, as we only give 110 percent screw. As it was, we arrived more or less in Prince George, close to our BC Rail 10 hour "rest of relief" clause. The yardmaster held us out at KalTire crossing waiting for a yard job to do some work before we had a clear track to yard our train. Anyhow the "tenth hour" rolled around for us and we got into the crew buggy and went to the Gold Crap motel for our rest. Later on the assistant superintendent looked at the aei "reader" time of our arrival and could not believe that we had actually brought the train in over our "BC Rail 10 hours". Truth was, we stopped at KalTire crossing just short of the reader and later on a scabby crew of two CN trainmasters brought the train into the yard. The assistant superintendent did not know this and thought it was me and my Conductor. I have kept the "CN Dream Team" hat even though the assistant superintendent wanted it back after realizing his mistake. Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/18 13:38 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 04/05/18 19:47
Re: "above and Beyond the Call of Duty" !!??
Author: Chessie

LOL!

Date: 04/05/18 20:26
Author: CCDeWeese

Sounds like the Superintendent did not have a clear picture of what was going on. Also wonder about the dispatcher's records, and hours of service issues, if any?

Date: 04/05/18 20:58
Author: Chico43

Scabby crew? Two asst trainmasters yarded the train?

Date: 04/05/18 21:34
Author: Habu

hoggerdoug:

Did the first name of that Supt. happen to be, Tom?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/18 10:50 by Habu.

Date: 04/06/18 04:00
Author: hoggerdoug

Yes, his first name was Tom, a very nice gentleman from New Orleans. I always wondered what he had done to be "promoted" to Prince George BC in the great white north. The assistant superintendent was home grown, and when he was thinking hard his eyebrows would knit together. Doug

Habu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hoggerdoug:
>
> Did the first name of that Supt.'s happen to be,
> Tom?

Date: 04/06/18 20:17
Author: Locotrol2

I would have thought maybe it was “Boom, Boom” but yet he’d never hand out anything except stupidity.........

Locotrol2

Date: 04/09/18 20:41
Author: IC1038west

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, his first name was Tom, a very nice gentleman
> from New Orleans. I always wondered what he had
> done to be "promoted" to Prince George BC in the
> great white north. The assistant superintendent
> was home grown, and when he was thinking hard his
> eyebrows would knit together. Doug
>
> Habu Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > hoggerdoug:
> >
> > Did the first name of that Supt.'s happen to
> be,
> > Tom?

After retirement, Tom started doing Karaoke around the Springville, Tennessee area. I believe he has a Facebook site for this non rail activity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/18 20:48 by IC1038west.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds