Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > SP engineer Hugh ("Hungry") Donahue passes

Date: 06/03/18 14:15
SP engineer Hugh ("Hungry") Donahue passes
Author: gyralite

For the SP guys from the LA Division who remember engineer "Hungry" Donahue, a post on Facebook from his step daughter states he passed away unexpectedly a few days ago. "Hungry" was a legend on the LA Division.
RIP.

Date: 06/03/18 15:30
Re: SP engineer Hugh ("Hungry") Donahue passes
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Evidently, he hired out on 5/31/72 and worked his last shift 5/31/18, 46 years to the day!

Date: 06/03/18 17:07
Author: cewherry

crackerjackhoghead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Evidently, he hired out on 5/31/72 and worked his
> last shift 5/31/18, 46 years to the day!

Yes, I remember his name although I don't believe we ever worked together. What a tragedy to pass so soon, never to even draw any RR retirement. Sadly there are others
that have had the same fate. My condolences go to his family.

Charlie Wherry

Date: 06/03/18 23:40
Author: CR3

I worked with hungry when I was a fireman. He liked horses and I think he owned one too and went on trail rides and stuff like that. He was fun to be around. Sorry he never collected his 1st RR Retirement check. Squeaky Turhune met the same fate I believe.

Date: 06/04/18 13:58
Author: HardYellow

I knew Hungry from my West Colton days. I traded to the Tucson Division in 2000. The number one engineer was a fellow named Chuck Murtog (sp). He was 75 years old and working the Tucson/El Paso Pool, 312 miles and only about 30% was DT back then. I think he retired at 80 only collected four or five retirement checks before passing. I’m sure that many years of working that long pool did help his longevity any.

Date: 06/04/18 15:12
Author: sp3204

Chuck Murtaugh is the spelling you were looking for, nice guy!

Date: 06/08/18 13:45
Author: Christo

A wise friend once told me that you can either "retire from your job" or "retire to the next act in life". The one who retire to tend to quit sooner and with luck live longer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds