Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > All kiddin aside, have a RR type medical question for ya'll.

Date: 06/12/18 17:00
All kiddin aside, have a RR type medical question for ya'll.
Author: ns2557

Hope, all is finding everyone well. I just found out tonight that a very close friend has esophageal cancer. He is an engineer for an industrial outfit in Colorado. Has been giving to the RRB since his hire out, which his wife has told me was about 10 years or so ago. In my best efforts, I am trying to find out whether or not RR retirement can do anything for him? Can he draw early on his RR Retirement? The company he works at does not, from what she has told me and the wife, provide Life Insurance, and they themselves, do not have any. Just trying to do what I can to find answers in regards to what, if anything, his job with the RR can do for him. Thanks to any and all reponses. She, his wife is not taking it well, as can be expected. Thanks again. Ben

Date: 06/12/18 18:19
Re: All kiddin aside, have a RR type medical question for ya'll.
Author: EtoinShrdlu

>Hope, all is finding everyone well. I just found out tonight that a very close friend has esophageal cancer.

Same thing which did in my father. In this sort of situation it's best to look reality in the face, so, , ,

> He is an engineer for an industrial outfit in Colorado. Has been giving to the RRB since his hire out, which his wife has told me was about 10 years or so ago. In my best efforts, I am trying to find out whether or not RR retirement can do anything for him?

The RRB might give him an early pension for reasons of disability (there is no such thing as a "disability pension" under the RRB), but this probably wouldn't kick in until he was unable to work.

> Can he draw early on his RR Retirement?

Unfortunately, the RRB doesn't work this way. If he has a 401k etc. he could make early withdrawals, but the tax penalties might be mind boggling. That "10 years or so" might be crucial because he and she would get nothing if he hasn't contributed long enough to become vested. It used to take 10 years to become vested, but I think this has changed. The best thing to do is for them to call the RRB and set up an appointment so they can go into the office and discuss their situation.

> The company he works at does not, from what she has told me and the wife, provide Life Insurance,

On the railroad, life insurance it sometimes available through the Union, depending on which union.

> and they themselves, do not have any. Just trying to do what I can to find answers in regards to what, if anything, his job with the RR can do for him. Thanks to any and all reponses. She, his wife is not taking it well, as can be expected. Thanks again.

Doesn't the company have a medical plan for it's employees? When this is the first resort for medical issues.

Look into immunotherapy, it's the coming thing and seems to be producing positive results.

Wish I could give you more upbeat information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/18 18:21 by EtoinShrdlu.

Date: 06/12/18 18:56
Author: cewherry

Your friend or spouse needs to call the Railroad Retirement board at (877)-772-5772. This number is a national source and will serve as a first stop for information
he needs. Best wishes to that family in a very scary time for them.

Charlie

Date: 06/12/18 20:09
Author: gyralite

Charlie's advice is good. They should contact RRB and if there's an office near them, set up an appointment. I have found the RRB to be most helpful when I called prior to my retirement. They can certainly answer the questions about eligibility, coverage, disability, etc. Best wishes and good luck to them.

Date: 06/13/18 15:22
Author: SP4360

Sent you a PM.

Date: 06/13/18 16:00
Author: ns2557

Thanks to all your repsonses so far. I have passed all of this to his wife. He had surgury today. Have not heard yet how things went. It's just the start of a long process for him and his wife. Thanks again for all reponses. I really appreciate it and I am sure, in this difficut time for them, they also do. Ya'll take care. Ben

Date: 06/17/18 23:34
Author: hogheaded

Early retirement due to a disability is actually a two step process. First, you submit your medical information to RRB, which then reviews it and forwards it to the Social Security Administration to determine the extent of your disability - 100%, 90%, etc. if you are declared 100% disabled by SSA, then you are eligible for Railroad Medicare, but only after a one year waiting period, during which you have to depend upon some other source of insurance, if any. The review process took roughly four months for me. RRB was extremely helpful.

Ed Gibson

Date: 07/02/18 12:13
Author: Lackawanna484

Depending on the nature and duration of the employment, it's possible a FELA claim can be made.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1732 seconds