Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > UP Employee's Pass


Date: 09/25/19 12:12
UP Employee's Pass
Author: RonSD70

Was looking through my desk drawer for something else and ran across this 1956 employee pass for my late father-in-law, W.W. (Woody) Keller. I'd completely forgotten I had it. Woody worked out of East L.A. as a brakeman/conductor on the UP passenger trains between LA and Las Vegas until Amtrak took over in 1971. He then worked off the extra board for the balance of his career between LA and Yermo.

Ron Butts
Lincoln, CA




Date: 09/25/19 13:14
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: pedrop

Nice. It was just on pass for the whole year?

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano, MG
Minas Gerais Railways



Date: 09/25/19 16:18
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: SPMW5771

Neat Pass.....Interesting that he held a passenger job until the passenger trains ended and then went to the extra board. I thought the passenger runs were most popular in those days and were handled by higher seniority employees. Live and learn........



Date: 09/25/19 19:55
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: 567Chant

I wonder about the pre-printed "Not Good On..." strictures.
...Lorenzo



Date: 09/26/19 10:34
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: cewherry

567Chant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder about the pre-printed "Not Good On..."
> strictures.
> ...Lorenzo

Very common. Intended to ensure space on the roads premier trains were available without having to deal
with the awkward occasion of having a pass rider vacate a seat to make room for a paying customer.

Charlie



Date: 09/27/19 13:06
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: johnsweetser

SPMW5771 wrote:

>  I thought the passenger runs were most popular in those days and were handled by higher seniority employees. 

A retired Santa Fe conductor once told me that only ones who worked Santa Fe passenger trains between Bakersfield and Barstow were those with low seniority or those who were cripples. Freight trains were the preferred job because the pay was higher.
 



Date: 09/28/19 10:17
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: UPNW2-1083

SPMW5771 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat Pass.....Interesting that he held a passenger
> job until the passenger trains ended and then went
> to the extra board. I thought the passenger runs
> were most popular in those days and were handled
> by higher seniority employees. Live and
> learn........

UP's passenger trains ran from L.A. to Vegas which was over double the mileage of freight service (L.A. to Yermo, 161 miles) even thought it was a lower pay rate.-BMT 



Date: 09/28/19 11:47
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: PHall

UPNW2-1083 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SPMW5771 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Neat Pass.....Interesting that he held a
> passenger
> > job until the passenger trains ended and then
> went
> > to the extra board. I thought the passenger
> runs
> > were most popular in those days and were
> handled
> > by higher seniority employees. Live and
> > learn........
>
> UP's passenger trains ran from L.A. to Vegas which
> was over double the mileage of freight service
> (L.A. to Yermo, 161 miles) even thought it was a
> lower pay rate.-BMT 

So there was no crew change at Yermo for passenger crews?



Date: 09/28/19 23:30
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: cewherry

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UPNW2-1083 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > SPMW5771 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Neat Pass.....Interesting that he held a
> > passenger
> > > job until the passenger trains ended and then
> > went
> > > to the extra board. I thought the passenger
> > runs
> > > were most popular in those days and were
> > handled
> > > by higher seniority employees. Live and
> > > learn........
> >
> > UP's passenger trains ran from L.A. to Vegas
> which
> > was over double the mileage of freight service
> > (L.A. to Yermo, 161 miles) even thought it was
> a
> > lower pay rate.-BMT 
>
> So there was no crew change at Yermo for passenger
> crews?

Not since 4/11/1948 for trainmen and 1/11/1949 for enginemen. Source: John Signor's The Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad Company.

Charlie



Date: 09/30/19 17:52
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: PasadenaSub

Were there many UP passenger trains that ran between Los Angeles and Utah in those years Other than those listed at the top? 
Perhaps just the mail trains.

A nice item to have saved,

Rich



Date: 10/01/19 10:33
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: cewherry

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Were there many UP passenger trains that ran
> between Los Angeles and Utah in those years Other
> than those listed at the top? 
> Perhaps just the mail trains.

In 1956, only unnamed mail trains 5-6 between L.A.and Ogden; until December 18 when UP leased EMD's Aerotrain and inaugurated 
Nos. 115-116, City of Las Vegas. Somehow I doubt employee passes were honored on on 115-116 and I'd guess that when UP sent their
order for new system pass 'blanks' to the printer in later years, the COLV was probably included among those "NOT GOOD ON" trains.
But then again, maybe not.

Charlie



Date: 10/10/19 21:31
Re: UP Employee's Pass
Author: shortlineboss

Anyone have a UP White Pass?
I thought a White Pass was good on ALL trains...freight and passenger.
I know of someone who had one.

Mike Root
Chandler, AZ



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.097 seconds