Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Happiness is a quit, however you get it.

Date: 10/07/20 21:47
Happiness is a quit, however you get it.
Author: roustabout

January 17, 1997 I worked a rest day as conductor of the Willamina Local with engineer Ed S, a former SP Eugene Roundhouse employee. We'd gotten our train together on the branch west of Whiteson and did an air test. Once on the power, we headed west to Willamina but didn't even get past the yard board. The locomotive went on the ground first, followed by the first two empty centerbeams. The ride was rough but it stopped quickly at our 'brisk' 10 mph with the locomotive leaning slightly to the hogger's side. Cause was rolled/broken/spread rails, pick one or more...

I don't remember who said we could go home, maybe I made that decision and our vehicles were a fairly short walk away at Whiteson. Ed was happy with a three hour quit (witness the happy hogger in the first image); what the heck else could we do? Tom C. in customer service wasn't happy and yelled a bit at me but I was already home by then...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/20 21:48 by roustabout.

Date: 10/07/20 22:00
Re: Happiness is a quit, however you get it.
Author: wp1801

Keep them coming please,Lou.

Date: 10/08/20 10:23
Author: trainjunkie

Quits are great but you're only as good as your last run. ;-)

Date: 10/08/20 18:55
Author: engineerinvirginia

Rolled rail....I will sit there twiddling my thmbs til I run out of time....it ain't my fault so I ain't doing anything but calling out the crane company. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0235 seconds