Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Vince Cipolla at Work

Date: 11/11/20 13:19
Vince Cipolla at Work
Author: tehachcond

There has been previous posts last week regarding the passing of Southern Pacific engineer Vince Cipolla.  Vince was the last guy qualified to run a steam locomotive on the SP San Joaquin Division.  I was a conductor, and worked with Vince a zillion times.  He knew I'm interested in steam, so he made a long trip more enjoyable with his stories of the days of yore.
   Vince has been identified as the fireman on the lead engine in these two pictures from the Nolan Black  my Dad's collection of the same train near Glendale, California.  The first is the train crossing the Pacific Electric just east of the Glendale depot.  If you look closely, you can see the roof of the interlocking tower just over the tender of the lead engine.  The overhead wire can be seen, also the rear end of # 98, the "Coast Daylight.".
   The second shot is of the train making its station stop at Glendale.  The train is westbound # 57, the "Owl,"  With doubleheaded "Malleys," I think this train just might move right along over the heavy grades ahead between there and Bakersfield.  They were taken by Dad in 1952.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/20 13:21 by tehachcond.

Date: 11/11/20 14:25
Re: Vince Cipolla at Work
Author: MacBeau

Those are really some nice images.
—Mac

Date: 11/11/20 14:55
Author: WAF

Vince still wore those rubber arm protectors to the end

Date: 11/11/20 18:17
Author: trainjunkie

Good stuff Brian. Thanks for sharing these. Highball Vince!

Date: 11/11/20 18:26
Author: wp1801

What sights, and sounds that must have been!

Date: 11/11/20 20:20
Author: Odyssey

Thank you for sharing the images and the history!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 11/12/20 10:28
Author: Zephyr

Thanks for sharing these Brian!  Great shots of a legend doing what he liked to do best!

Pete

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds