Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Riding High and being Frogged

Date: 07/23/21 11:01
Riding High and being Frogged
Author: Cabhop

I was discussing on Facebook riding high over a rickety bridge that did a tight horseshoe curve over the Los Angles "River" in Long Beach CA.  Parentheses are that there isn't much River here just be big concrete gully but it put the bridge pretty highup where we crossed. 

The reason I would be decorating was we would be shoving the car because the customer accross the river had a facing point switch access and there was not a good place to do a drop on the "downtown" side of the bridge. One time we tried a drop and the car ended up frogging us. So Don Hover, the conductor called the yard master and he told us it would be hours before another job could come to the rescue. This didn't set well as the job we were working was a "quit" job so waiting hours was a bummer.  So someone gave Don a ride back to the yard office where he bought his little Falcon pickup truck back to pull the car into the clear. It was hilarious watching the little tires spin and smoke trying to pull that reefer. It didn't work so we piled in the back of the little truck and went somewhere for coffee/beans while we waited to be rescued. God we had fun back in those days.

Date: 07/23/21 20:04
Re: Riding High and being Frogged
Author: ExSPCondr

That was the Daisy Street freight lead, which was the leftover from the end of the PE LA-Long Beach passenger line.

What I'm curious about is why didn't you and your engineer go back to Dolores for another engine?
G

Date: 07/24/21 06:20
Author: 3rdswitch

Wouldn't this job have gone to work at Long Beach? And, wouldn't there be an engine available there? Or, had the jobs already moved to Dolores? Just curious. And, agree wholly, working on the railroad BACK THEN, was a blast, and, with so many different charactor types. A few of us even wore hats that said "Railroading is fun".
JB

Date: 07/25/21 14:26
Author: usmc1401

The bridge in this story was removed about twenty years ago.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds