Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Path


Date: 06/19/23 07:21
Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Path
Author: ApproachCircuit

TRAIN ORDER No 1274.           DATE.   SEPT 12 1981

To C&E   WESTWARD TRAINS VIA SANTA BARBARA SUBDIV

SUGAR BEET IN TOE PATH MP 479.4 TO MP 419.6
BETWEEN CAMARILLO AND MOORPARK


                                     RMG

Complete Time 154 AM.                  OLIVER     Opr



Date: 06/19/23 14:21
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: WAF

ApproachCircuit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TRAIN ORDER No 1274.           DATE.   SEPT
> 12 1981
>
> To C&E   WESTWARD TRAINS VIA SANTA BARBARA
> SUBDIV
>
> SUGAR BEET IN TOE PATH MP 479.4 TO MP 419.6
> BETWEEN CAMARILLO AND MOORPARK
>
>
>                                 
>     RMG
>
> Complete Time 154 AM.                
>  OLIVER     Opr
DS issued those all the time during beet season



Date: 06/19/23 17:50
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: ExSPCondr

The operator was not Oliver, but "Frenchy" Olivier!


WAF Wrote:



-------------------------------------------------------
> ApproachCircuit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > TRAIN ORDER No 1274.           DATE.  
> SEPT
> > 12 1981
> >
> > To C&E   WESTWARD TRAINS VIA SANTA BARBARA
> > SUBDIV
> >
> > SUGAR BEET IN TOE PATH MP 479.4 TO MP 419.6
> > BETWEEN CAMARILLO AND MOORPARK
> >
> >
> >                               
>  
> >     RMG
> >
> > Complete Time 154 AM.                
> >  OLIVER     Opr
> DS issued those all the time during beet season



Date: 06/19/23 21:24
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

ExSPCondr Wrote:

Roger Olivier..French Canadian.. Roger was a dispatcher on the CN before moving to California.
-------------------------------------------------------
> The operator was not Oliver, but "Frenchy"
> Olivier!
>
>
> WAF Wrote:
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ApproachCircuit Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > TRAIN ORDER No 1274.           DATE.  
> > SEPT
> > > 12 1981
> > >
> > > To C&E   WESTWARD TRAINS VIA SANTA BARBARA
> > > SUBDIV
> > >
> > > SUGAR BEET IN TOE PATH MP 479.4 TO MP 419.6
> > > BETWEEN CAMARILLO AND MOORPARK
> > >
> > >
> > >                             
>  
> >  
> > >     RMG
> > >
> > > Complete Time 154 AM.                
> > >  OLIVER     Opr
> > DS issued those all the time during beet season

Posted from Android



Date: 06/19/23 21:31
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: JGFuller

It's actually "towpath", where trainmen and switchmen walk along the railroad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towpath



Date: 06/20/23 11:33
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

JGFuller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's actually "towpath", where trainmen and
> switchmen walk along the
> railroad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towpath


Jack the words are pronounced the same..like there and their. I guess an employee doesn't tow anything just boots and toes on the right of way.

Posted from Android



Date: 06/21/23 18:37
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: engineerinvirginia

JGFuller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's actually "towpath", where trainmen and
> switchmen walk along the
> railroad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towpath

Calling the railroad ballast a towpath originated with the Eastern parts of Cheapeake and Ohio Railroad which was built on the towpath of the James River & Kanawha Canal....certainly other railroads were build atop towpaths as well. But the C&O was one of many firsts which folks often choose to ignore. We weren't the first railroad but we bought it to keep it from withering away...which it was doing. 
 



Date: 06/21/23 23:50
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: SP4360

Those things were like over inflated footballs when they came off a car and would put a hell of a dent in an automobile waiting at a crossing. Saw that plenty of times at Palmdale.



Date: 06/30/23 17:38
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: 567Chant

IIRC, my father stopped WELL back from the Olive or Magnolia crossings in Burbank while the beets crept past.
We counted cars to pass the time: usually > 110 cars.
...Lorenzo



Date: 07/08/23 22:00
Re: Attention All Railroaders: Were You Attentive While On Toe Pa
Author: railstiesballast

We were instructed to request a train order instructing employees when the toepath was fouled with rail, ties, or other obstructions and to have them annulled when we were done with the work.
It may have been related to the California Public Utilities Commissioin General Order no. 118, which required good walkways, or just a common sense safety notice of a hazard.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.087 seconds