Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > ReHashed Memory (SP Bakersfield) and a few memories on the coast

Date: 07/30/23 14:58
ReHashed Memory (SP Bakersfield) and a few memories on the coast
Author: ApproachCircuit

A post by Sp3204 stirred up my memory about "VETO JOBS'. Was this just a few divisions having a vest pocket agreement or was the $4 per Hundred widespread on the SP System?
I think it was every 5th job that worked no matter goat, local or road had to have a fieman. Basicallly a good idea just for the experience alone; remember 282 killed off the fireman with 
under 10 years seniority. So the hogger got less if you were a "VETO" guy. Most Guys were good with it but there were a few jerks! 
Some of them would offer up a tidbit about another job that paid more etc hoping you would bid-off! I remember one guy sending me over to the Fresno RH on an errand. When I got
back to the power, he had changed out my seat! On that particular day I had lucked out and had one of those nice "Tuck and Roll" green seats that were on the later power but landed
up all over the SP on everything that had wheels. They made your trip a Breeze!
Hey don't forget BUSCH Gardens at Gemco ( and the "tap room")
And when the regular Oxnard switcher hogger got caught with a chick in the cab!).    And at night too!

JJB

Date: 07/30/23 19:08
Re: ReHashed Memory (SP Bakersfield) and a few memories on the co
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Oh yes the famous tap room! One tidbit I learned from the brewmasters was how to pour a tap beer the proper way. Always pour the beer like a waterfall to eliminate the carbonation from the beer so one can drink more without the gasiness.

A few engineers would belly ache about having a fireman. The only engineer that was the worst was Ormand G. Dowdy. He wouldn't even talk to the fireman. I worked with him once and did my job of inspection of the units, set up the dynamics, knocked off the handbrakes etc. He never said a word until we headed into the siding at Woodford. All of sudden he came out of his shell and talked to me like a long lost relative. Upon arrival at Bakersfield he even gave me a ride to the hotel.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/23 19:04 by SanJoaquinEngr.

Date: 07/31/23 08:54
Author: WP-M2051

Orman G. Dowdy:  a classic old head name if there ever were one.

Date: 08/01/23 12:52
Author: HardYellow

Remember Clyde Hubbard? He use to call the fireman, "Belly Robing Seat Warmers."

Date: 08/02/23 02:42
Author: Drknow

As a BLE&T member I have never understood how the leadership of the BLE let the BLF&E merge with the trainman’s unions.

I remember a lot of Old Head hogs that were UTU-E because of the way they were treated by the BLE and the cheap ass hoggers that didn’t want firemen. Especially since all of the cheap old fossils were steam men and had started out as firemen.

Not wanting to start a war but the attitudes of so many that I have worked with these years is just “give me a nickel today and screw dollars tomorrow “.

Pathetic really.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/23 08:54
Author: Notch7

Drknow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a BLE&T member I have never understood how the
> leadership of the BLE let the BLF&E merge with the
> trainman’s unions.
The true history of the relations and rivalry between the BLF&E and the BLE is interesting, enlightening, and sad too.  I delved into it as a young railfan having family and friends that belonged to each organization.  I delved into it even more when as young fireman, young engineer, and young local chairman; I got to know the union officers from both organizations from back in the day.  The BLF&E and the BLE did have merger talks around 1959.  I was told it didn't work because each very independent union thought they should at least initially be in charge.  The BLF&E cited their membership levels.  The BLE cited heritage, value, and hieracy.  By the mid 1960's, things had changed.  I was told the BLF&E had declined turning the firemen into "combination men" as had been done in Canada.  The PEB award 282 then made possible the severing of large amounts of the firemen then working.  BLF&E president Ed Gilbert decided to go the UTU formation-merger route, and he became one of the early UTU high officers.  The UTU felt the BLE was wrong in not joining in, and they felt the BLE would decline and be taken over by the UTU through merger.  That almost happened in 2001.

The BLF&E inspired much loyalty in its membership and their families..  I knew a few old BLF&E  members that wore their old BLF&E cap buttons probably until the ends of their careers.  The BLF&E ladies auxiliary of my home terminal kept meeting separately well into the 1970's.  They were known as the "Magnolia Ladies".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/23 08:56 by Notch7.

Date: 08/02/23 18:55
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

HardYellow Wrote:
> Remember Clyde Hubbard? He use to call the
> fireman, "Belly Robing Seat Warmers."

You mean Cupcake ?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/03/23 06:37
Author: HardYellow

SanJoaquinEngr Wrote:
> HardYellow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Remember Clyde Hubbard? He use to call the
> > fireman, "Belly Robing Seat Warmers."
>
> You mean Cupcake ?
>
> Posted from Android

Yep!...one of a kind.

Date: 08/13/23 12:43
Author: tehachcond

WP-M2051 Wrote:
> Orman G. Dowdy:  a classic old head name if there
> ever were one.

He WAS a classic old head! Actually, his first name was Ormand, although he was known as Mr. Dowdy to everyone. Conversely, he called everyone by their last name…Mr. Black, Mr. Peterman, Mr. Carpenter…etc.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/23 17:31 by tehachcond.

Date: 08/18/23 13:55
Author: spider1319

I walked away from the  BLE /UTUE feud after the last  merger attempt ,I think in the late nineties, was voted down by the BLE.I belonged to both unions over the course of my career and finished up belonging to the UTU.I seved as  an Offficer of UTU- E for number of years.The rivalry continues to this day to the detriment of the memberships.My opinion is the UTU is a better union as for as achieving positive results for the membership.If  I had to make a comparison it would be between the LA Dodgers and the Seattle Mariners.Different cultures entirerly..Bill Webb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/23 14:04 by spider1319.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0675 seconds