Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Young single passenger conductors!

Date: 01/11/24 18:34
Young single passenger conductors!
Author: ApproachCircuit

I knew a few guys that had at least 100 phone numbers of gorgeous chicks they meet on the trains! What a job: Working Daylight on the San Diegans no less!
How could you not score!
Cocky guys about it too.
Meanwhile if you were "up front" all you could do is hear about it!
Every now and then, a sympathetic conductor would bring one up so we could drool over her.
I'll bet you there are some crazy stories that happened over the years! Plenty of them...........

Date: 01/11/24 20:45
Re: Young single passenger conductors!
Author: Drknow

Never worked passenger other than catching business trains, but the Old Heads that worked them in the 50’s and 60’s had some very interesting stories about those days.

Very interesting stories.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/11/24 22:41
Author: patd3985

Just work the yards...Kick'm in the clear... And go to beans!

Date: 01/12/24 01:36
Author: Notch7

ApproachCircuit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll bet you there are some crazy stories that
> happened over the years! Plenty of them...........

Yes, I know there are.    I worked on the engines of a  nightime "glass window job" north out of my home terminal (Greenville SC) with sleepers and lounge cars.  It was the Southern Crescent to Washington and New York.  There  were girls and women on that overnight train.  There were younger trainmen and conductors on the train too  Then there were the officers usually riding the train on business or commuting to our HQ in Washington.  I knew some guys that didn't get off at our crew change point and continued north with a girl they met on the train.,  The passenger guys working with me could accompany the ladies all the way to Washington and then double back south on our return train - the Piedmont.  Resting up and right in place on the Piedmont.  Of course some railroad guys brought their girls them - riding back in the sleepers.  One night after leaving Charlotte NC,  a dapper road foreman of engines brought two good looking women up through the four E8's to the front cab to witness railroading in action.  The RFE introduced them as Life Magazine reporters,  He took over running to impress them how fast he could go and how much lost time he could make up.   First he made sure the overspeed was cutout and he wedged the independent in bail position.  At our crew change point (Salisbury NC), he and the women climbed down on the dark side of the E8's and he walked them back to the sleepers.  Being a young and perhaps naive passenger fireman, my oldhead engineer felt he needed to explain to me that I should keep quiet abnout the RFE and the women, and that they were probably not from Life Magazine.  I think there might have been other Life Magazine  female reporters before those two.

Date: 01/12/24 06:18

I knew some trainmen who worked the Twin Star Rocket as brakemen back in the day. Evidently the CRI&P solicited traffic from many young women traveling for various reasons; business, school, trade groups, sorority groups etc. The young men working those jobs did their utmost to ensure a pleasurable trip for these women, so much so that their were a couple of Old Head Conductors that had to explain to their crews that “executing their duties” didn’t include personal services for the ladies.

But rest assured the Rock Island men did their best to ensure a enjoyable trip and leave the gals with great memories of the Rock Island Line.

True story.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/12/24 07:56
Author: dan

mighty fine line

Date: 01/12/24 08:32
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

I knew a brakeman that worked the Sunset Limited from Los Angeles to Yuma. Since the train only ran tri weekly the crew laid over for a few days in between trips. This particular brakeman would meet women and the two would layover in Yuma. I gave him the nickname of stop over because he would tell them to modify their ticket to extend their travel time.
One trainmaster assigned to Amtrak would travel to El Paso and also to Portland. He told me he always met women on the train and entertain them in his roomette.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/12/24 09:37
Author: eljay

"single" wasn't a requirement, just sayin'

Date: 01/12/24 10:13
Author: dan

girl  and  a car in every port

or at least the girl

Date: 01/12/24 14:24
Author: tehachcond

ApproachCircuit Wrote:
>  I knew a few guys that had at least 100 phone
> numbers of gorgeous chicks they meet on the
> trains! What a job: Working Daylight on the San
> Diegans no less!
> How could you not score!
> Cocky guys about it too.
> Meanwhile if you were "up front" all you could do
> is hear about it!
> Every now and then, a sympathetic conductor would
> bring one up so we could drool over her.
> I'll bet you there are some crazy stories that
> happened over the years! Plenty of them...........

Hey B, that wasn't Willie D was it?

Brian

Date: 01/12/24 14:28
Author: phthithu

They did a TV show on TWA stewardesses of the 60's I think a few years back. Didn't go anywhere. Maybe they should do a train conductor show along the same lines. At the very least someone should try plugging this thread into that ChatGPT thing and asking for a novelization of some kind. That would be humorous. 

Date: 01/12/24 15:27
Author: PHall

Remember reading an article in the SP Trainline about the Lark about how there were some "ladies of renegotiable virtue" who used to ride the train looking for businessmen on business trips who needed company all night.

Date: 01/12/24 15:47
Author: bustermanning1

Yep....that used to happen on 19 coming out of D.C.......one girl would work the smoking lounge, lining up the "friends", who would go visit their friend in one of the sleeper car rooms 

Date: 01/12/24 17:13
Author: WAF

phthithu Wrote:
> They did a TV show on TWA stewardesses of the 60's
> I think a few years back. Didn't go anywhere.
> Maybe they should do a train conductor show along
> the same lines. At the very least someone should
> try plugging this thread into that ChatGPT thing
> and asking for a novelization of some kind. That
> would be humorous. 

Pan Am

Date: 01/12/24 18:32
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

tehachcond Wrote:
> ApproachCircuit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >  I knew a few guys that had at least 100 phone
> > numbers of gorgeous chicks they meet on the
> > trains! What a job: Working Daylight on the San
> > Diegans no less!
> > How could you not score!
> > Cocky guys about it too.
> > Meanwhile if you were "up front" all you could
> do
> > is hear about it!
> > Every now and then, a sympathetic conductor
> would
> > bring one up so we could drool over her.
> > I'll bet you there are some crazy stories that
> > happened over the years! Plenty of
> them...........
>
> Hey B, that wasn't Willie D was it?
>
> Brian

Willie D picked up the empty cans and newspapers.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/13/24 10:57
Author: santafe199

ApproachCircuit Wrote: > ...  I'll bet you there are some crazy stories that happened over the years!

"Plenty of them" is absolutely correct! And if those plentiful stories are like the average stories I heard in 3+ decades in train service, then 99.99% of them are unprintable on this forum...

;^)

Date: 01/14/24 09:05
Author: irhoghead

BC (before cameras), there was a lot of stuff that went on in locomotive and cab car cabs involving the opposite sex.

Date: 01/14/24 19:08

irhoghead Wrote:
> BC (before cameras), there was a lot of stuff that
> went on in locomotive and cab car cabs involving
> the opposite sex.

I wasn’t involved, but let’s just say… yes.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/24 01:08
Author: Notch7

bustermanning1 Wrote:
> Yep....that used to happen on 19 coming out of
> D.C.......one girl would work the smoking lounge,
> lining up the "friends", who would go visit their
> friend in one of the sleeper car rooms 

My train crews told me that happened in Southern Crescent days, except out of Atlanta.  We worked the northbound Southern Crescent mainly.  Unless there were continuing clientele needs, the girls would turnback south on the southbound Southern Crescent at Salisbury or Charlotte NC.  My crews commented that the girls were discrete.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0783 seconds