Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Spring Ahead, Fall Back???

Date: 03/09/24 18:55
Spring Ahead, Fall Back???
Author: RetiredHogger

Well, tonight's the night most of the United States "springs ahead". Did any of you folks ever have issues....payroll or HOS....on time change nights?

For example, on "fall back" night in 1979, I was working a midnight job (paid yard rate, actually did road transfer and local work), and made OT. I claimed the actual time on duty, and the local assistant trainmaster got kind of mad about it. When I asked him if that was the only night of the year I could work 13 hours without violating, he didn't know what to say. I didn't take long before the superintendent (a genuine railroad man) told him to OK the time slip. This was on the Illinois Terminal.

Many years later, I was doing some digging for a fellow engineer, and found the place in the Wabash Engineer's Agreement that stipulated on time change nights they paid you according to the clock. I confess that I never knew that until that time. I guess I'd never had it come up with my eventual long time employer.

So, how about it? Did any of you get beat out of a few bucks? Pick a few up? What about the hogs? Any time change issues when the piggies came a nibbling?

Thanks.  :-)

Date: 03/09/24 19:14
Re: Spring Ahead, Fall Back???
Author: Trainhand

Haad problems on fall back night, Working a 2300 yard job, got off at 0700, TM said didn't work but 8 hours, and said you would make it up in the spring. All the night yard jobs had to get that one hour handled to get paid.

Sam

Date: 03/10/24 09:45
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

The SP would put out a Superintendent s bulletin on time change day you would register or record the actual hours worked.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/10/24 11:51
Author: TAW

One time change day, one of my colleagues in Seattle was an hour late to work for 1st trick. That's embarrassing enough, but it was the same person who stuck out the time change train order for the district two days before, and signed for it on the transfer the next day.

TAW

Date: 03/10/24 12:00
Author: a737flyer

Daylight savings and leap years always seem to generate discussions in the transportation industry...   Duty time limitations are most often head scratching but the leap year issue in the airlines, at least are, "That's one for the company."

Date: 03/10/24 18:38
Author: PHall

I know that at AT&T how pay was handled on the time change days was covered in the contract. We didn't have reinvent the wheel twice a year.

Date: 03/11/24 13:55
Author: longliveSP

a737flyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Daylight savings and leap years always seem to
> generate discussions in the transportation
> industry...   Duty time limitations are most
> often head scratching but the leap year issue in
> the airlines, at least are, "That's one for the
> company."

As a former truck driver, yes it does create issues with pencil pushers. Twice I had to deal with ignorant safety department personal because in one case my total hours for a log book day was 25 hours and another time it was 23 hours because I was working during the time change. 

Date: 03/11/24 19:24
Author: 567Chant

Although pay (and rest) weren't a consideration, punctuality was -
In my Naval Air Reserve squadron (VP-65), drill weekends were ALWAYS on time-change weekends.
Inevitably, there were some who were one hour late for muster, and some an hour early.
On BOTH time changes.
Oh well.
...Lorenzo

Date: 03/14/24 18:42
Author: engineerinvirginia

We can get our rest adjusted but as for hours paid....you make it up next year,,,if you work the time change again. 

Date: 03/14/24 22:50
Author: ATSFSuperChief

In the Merchant Marine with unionized crews we always had time changes when crossing time zones. On normal speed ships is was normally no more than once a night or more nights between. During the First Persian Gulf War our company ran a fleet of seven high horsepower, high speed ships which would do two hours of time changes in one night as 33+ knots over 24 hours was enough to transit two times zones; i.e. 792 miles. Changes were done only on the night watches to keep meal hours normal and were 40 minutes +/- per watch, eastbound shorter watches and sleep, westbound longer watches and sleep with circadian rhythms FUBARed. No overtime involved as standard policy was eastbound short westbound long equals reality. Plus we when away from home a lot longer then the railroad workers, excepted MOW traveling crews.

Don Allender

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds