Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > As God intended ... (link)

Date: 10/01/05 06:08
As God intended ... (link)
Author: ddavies

All tuscan consist.

Yesterday, NS ran a OCS special from Harrisburg in a great circle route to Altoona, up the mountain to the loop at AR Tower, back to Altoona for lunch, then east to Tyrone, up the Nittany and Bald Eagle to Lock Haven, and return to Harrisburg via the Buffalo line.

This special featured an all tuscan consist of Bennett Levins E8s, his three cars and four NS tuscan office cars, including the Buena Vista gallery car and a full dome.

You didn't have to be a Pennys freak (I'm more of a B&O man myself) to enjoy seeing this train! Very impressive. Puts the waxed SD70Ms to shame for OCS power ;-)

Date: 10/01/05 06:36
Re: As God intended ... (link)
Author: mully

Great shots Dave, what was this train for?

Gary

Date: 10/01/05 06:39
Author: chuchubob

Beautiful photos!. Thanks

Date: 10/01/05 06:53

From what I heard, it was a special for NS's largest shippers. A number of people on the train had cameras out the vestibule windows, so it seems the people who went were the railfans who worked for the biggest shippers ;-)

Not sure if the new boss of NS was onboard or not.

Date: 10/01/05 08:18
Author: mully

Dave
Another group stated it was for a transportation museum in Ky.

Gary

ddavies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From what I heard, it was a special for NS's
> largest shippers. A number of people on the train
> had cameras out the vestibule windows, so it seems
> the people who went were the railfans who worked
> for the biggest shippers ;-)
>
> Not sure if the new boss of NS was onboard or not.

Date: 10/01/05 10:13
Author: chuchubob

mully Wrote:
> Great shots Dave, what was this train for?
>
> Gary

You don't know Dick!

Dick answered this question on another thread.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,1008769,1009191#msg-1009191

Bob

Date: 10/01/05 11:31
Author: DaveD

Nice... Wow, are those units clean.

Funny, I never thought about it until now... I'm not sure how that antenna worked, or why you would need one that's so long. It's almost like an HF antenna.

Dave
-DPD Productions - Featuring the TrainTenna LP Gain RR Scanner Antenna-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/

Date: 10/01/05 15:58
Author: Red

DaveD Wrote:
> Nice... Wow, are those units clean.
>
> Funny, I never thought about it until now... I'm
> not sure how that antenna worked, or why you would
> need one that's so long. It's almost like an HF
> antenna.
>
> Dave
> -DPD Productions - Featuring the TrainTenna LP
> Gain RR Scanner Antenna-
> http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/

They have a very deep lustrious sheen to them. Why? I saw a site about a year ago about the units' restoration. One coat of primer (of course), THREE coats of Tuscan (far more than your average repaint), with drying intervals between each coat, and then, to top it off, TWO coats of a very high-quality clear coat (most units just get one coat). I would think, considering that these units are generally kept indoors, that they will look GREAT for a very, VERY long time!

EXCELLENT restoration work!!!

Date: 10/01/05 18:43
Author: RuleG

Very good photos, Dave. Thanks for sharing.

In 2001, I rode behind these units from Altoona to Horseshoe Curve and back. It would be great if some day there was an excursion from Altoona through Tyrone to Lock Haven, and perhaps even west from there to Renovo that was open to the general public.

Dave

Date: 10/01/05 19:47
Author: mjbobb

Got around a lot there Dave. Seen you was thru Watsontown and Milton on the Buffalo line. My old stompin grounds.

Date: 10/02/05 05:08

Came off I180 at Milton, and started looking for a good place to shoot, then found the large mowed field in front of the brick plant. Most of the route seemed heavly tree lined. :-(

Date: 10/02/05 08:49

Yeah Dave most of the Buffalo line is tree lined in this area. There are some more open spots north of Watsontown and again below Milton. Had you gotton him there at the brickyard xing in Watsontown you could have {depending on traffic} got him at Northumberland coming by the restored 4th street station but the lighting that time of day i dont think is great anyhow and the 50+mph train speed makes chasing on the Buffalo line tough!

Date: 10/02/05 09:18

I had never been on the east side of the river, only going up and down US 15 years ago, taking my son the baseball camp at Williamsport. Once you get very far south, the river really widens out, and I doubt there are manny places to cross back and forth.

Date: 10/02/05 18:38

Only one place to cross the mighty Susquehanna between Sunbury and the rt 22,322 bridge at Clarkes Ferry is by the Millersburg fairy boat ride!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds