Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > I'll Take Manila

Date: 10/30/05 00:15
I'll Take Manila
Author: BaltoJoey

I was just curious as to why I never see any photos taken at Manila on the East side of Sand Patch Tunnel?

BaltoJoey

Date: 10/30/05 04:15
Re: I'll Take Manila
Author: DPutz

My guess is that (1) it's a heck of a hike down there and (2) there is very little sunlight there...even less in the winter months..

--Dan

Date: 10/30/05 05:48
Author: ChessieSystem

You must be thinking about the east portal Dan????

Date: 10/30/05 09:15
Author: DPutz

I think so...why? To get to the west portal is Trespassing...

--Dan

Date: 10/30/05 09:58
No Thrilla in Manila
Author: cinder

The only vantage points with the sun behind you at Manila are at track level or slightly below, leaving you with the ubiquitous "wedge" option. Three-way meets with PO30 are common but very hard to shoot....unless it is overcast and you climb the bank on the north side of the tracks.

Date: 10/30/05 12:03
Author: ChessieSystem

Why?... Manila is easy to access and I have several nicely lit shots.

C27A

Date: 10/30/05 12:23
Manila Can Be A Thrilla

Manila is one of my favorite places to railfan. I have stayed there a few times overnight, but not recently. It has a nice large open area where you can get a nice campfire going and set up your tent. That is why I prefer it over the West side of the tunnel. Most of the trains would give a toot of the horn in greeting as they went by my camp.

However, it can be a bit eerie up there sometimes. Those CPL'S with those red signals beaming out of the darkness can look like the eyes of demons lurking at the Gates of Hell. I remember getting the bejeebers scared out of me once, when an opossum got into my tent and walked onto my sleeping bag! I spent the rest of the night in my van.

BaltoJoey<---- remembering the spooky story "Red Eyes" :-)

Date: 10/30/05 16:44
Manilla...
Author: DJ-12

Manilla has some very nice angles, and is a great place to "tele mash" morning westbounds comingt up through the S curve to the helper pocket. It's also great in the summer for westbounds from the opposite hillside and just a bit east at "Otter's Curve". Unfortunately, I shoot slides, or I'd post some of my work.

Date: 10/30/05 19:20
Re: Manila Can Be A Thrilla
Author: pennsy3750

> Those CPL'S with those red signals beaming

Those CPLs are long gone.

Date: 10/31/05 06:38
Manila Demons
Author: cinder

The demons of Manila are often found in close proximity to the brothers, "Bud" and "Bud Light".

Date: 10/31/05 11:44
Re: Manila Demons

cinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The demons of Manila are often found in close
> proximity to the brothers, "Bud" and "Bud Light".

LOL, sorry, I don't use alcoholic beverages. However, a few times I was visited by locals who did indulge. I suddenly heard the strains of the theme from the movie "Deliverance" - LOL.

BaltoJoey

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds