Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > DeCoven Diner in Cove, Pa being moved....

Date: 11/03/05 13:57
DeCoven Diner in Cove, Pa being moved....
Author: dwil89

A favorite place of mine to dine in the past, was the DeCoven Diner, in Cove, Pa, because it gave a good view of the NS Pittsburgh Line across 11-15. It has been closed for a couple of years now, and when I drove through Cove a few days ago, I found this scene....Dave Williams

Date: 11/03/05 14:00
Re: DeCoven Diner in Cove, Pa being moved....
Author: DPutz

Onoes! It was a true classic. I wonder where it went?

--Dan

Date: 11/03/05 14:01

The building was split in half to be trailered to a new location which I have not heard where....hopefully close by with a view of the tracks....Dave W

Date: 11/03/05 14:03
DeCoven Diner in Cove, Pa being moved....
Author: K3HX

Was DeCoven diner where de witches had de meetings?

I should be ashamed of myself for that, but I'm not. (smile)

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 11/03/05 14:08

Another view of the front half, and the door that I entered many times...Dave W.

Date: 11/03/05 14:14

And finally, a view showing its proximity to the NS Main...The black car in the background is parked near the tracks at MP117 on the Pittsburgh Line. Dave W.

Date: 11/03/05 14:24
Author: Chessie1

Dave, you have brought back so memories of eating at this place, it's been 12 years ago. I was at the Cove early this spring hoping to eat there again but the place was boarded up.
It good to see that hopefully that some will reuse this structure again.

Thanks for the memory
Chessie1

Date: 11/03/05 14:52

Apparently, this is not the first time that this Diner has been moved...I recall reading somewhere that it was originally located on Rte 22 in Harrisburg until the early 1970's, when it was moved to Cove....Dave W.

Date: 11/03/05 20:39
Author: mjbobb

Ate here a couple times myself in the early 90's. I believe the gas station that sat right beside it been closed for a while also. Was the only gas station between Duncannon and Marysville til Sheetz come along.

Date: 11/04/05 05:14
Author: DPutz

*Slap

There, I did it for you. :-P

--Dan

K3HX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Was DeCoven diner where de witches had de
> meetings?
>
> I should be ashamed of myself for that, but I'm
> not. (smile)
>
> Be Well,
>
> Tim Colbert K3HX

Date: 11/04/05 06:19
Author: m1bprr

Had food at the De Coven diner diner many times in the Penn-Central days. Before that back in the 1950's and 60's Kirks Diner on 11 and 15 west of the Iron bridge was diner of choise. Anyone remember that place?

Ed K. cp. Laurel Run

Date: 11/04/05 19:12
Author: conrail2801

A friend of mine worked Amtrak in the seventies. He said the diner was a favorite of the crews who would go there for "The Big Mess" breakfast special. He said it was a treat after the Amtrak meals.

Date: 11/05/05 04:45
Author: m1bprr

Back in the 50's - 60's there used to be another great place just across from the Enola enginehouse on 11 - 15, VAN's Diner, all the PRR. PC. railroad men used to eat there, if fact, on who's name was Amos used to do an imitation of a PRR. steam whistle. He had it down pat! Van's is now a bar, or nite club I think.

Ed K.

Date: 11/10/05 04:34
Author: PRR

Thanks for posting the photos, Dave. After train watching in the Enola area at the Iron Bridge, I always would head north on 11/15 to the DeCoven for a bite to eat. If you enjoy the old stainless steel diners checkout Randy Garbin's website "Roadside Online." The home page saids it all. "Eat in diners." "Ride trains." "Shop on main street." "Put a porch on your house." "Live in a walkable community."
PRR Charlie

http://www.btwmagazine.com/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds